Where did you ride your Cannondale today?

IdahoBrett

I couldn't tell what brand of pedals you have. Everyone falls at least once. I met up with friends from STL and Alabama for a ride in southern IL a few years back and the AL guy (on a Synapse) failed to unclip at a stop sign and fell over. He wasn't new to clipless pedals. I change bikes all the time, most have clipless pedals. Even if the same cleat type, they don't always unclip the same way. Some of my Look pedals unclick easier if I rotate my heel inboard rather than outboard.
I find that when I'm tired making more of an effort to pull up on the pedal when riding clipless can help get over the hills.
Shimano Ultegra pedals. They were on the bike when I bought it but removed them as soon as I brought the bike home. Riding a bike is like riding a bike? Not really. There are hundreds of small skills that just weren’t there anymore. Like standing to pedal up an incline. Up until a month ago I couldn’t do it without feeling like I was going to crash. Cornering faster than 10 mph (16kph). I could go on.

I’m much more confident and daily usage of the pedals are getting to be second nature.

Yesterday a set of vintage Dura Ace clipless pedals showed up in the mailbox for the R500.

I still have plenty of bikes with toe straps so the hunt for a shoe that works for me goes on.

Jon K.

Now that the weather's sort of improved here (can never escape the wind in OOO-oklahoma), I've finally gotten the R600 outside. Mostly along the local paved cycling/walking trail near the house, so not as scenic as the Oregon Trail or the Lippetal, but it feels good to be outside.

I'll try to take pictures next time I'm on the trail, such as it is.

New path near my place. Was cinder which was hard to walk because of ankle breaker rocks. Cool spot to catch the sunset.

Attachments

• IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

kjop

what a nice place! thanks for the pic. would love to have such a smooth bike path to the end of the world xD

Jon K.

Oh, boy. When I said I'd get some pictures of my ride along Fry Ditch Trail, I didn't think it would end like it did.

I was out for about an hour and 15 minutes, riding fairly slowly and stopping to take pictures. 14.3 miles in, I camer around a descending turn on the trail and a runner popped up. I got distracted and ran off into a metal pipe fence to the right (there's a slope there that leads down to the creek, so I assume they didn't want cyclists to fly down there.

I hit hard enough to scrape along the fence for a few feet, then went down. I remember the back of my helmet scraping the pavement, but not much else. After I took a few minutes, I was able to stand up and walk the bike home. The runner was long gone by this time, and it wasn't 'til later that anyone else passed by.

I was hoping to ride slowly home, but the left brifter is all twisted on the handlebar, the front wheel and stem are off by about 10-15 degrees, and the brakes on both ends are dragging. The frame and fork look okay, but I know the front wheel is bent and it wouldn't surprise me that the rear is, too.

I'm okay, I think. Road rash on the inside of my right arm and on the right side of my abdomen and on my right knee, ditto on my left shoulder and left ankle. Also a scrape on my sternum and, most worrisome, a large and nasty-looking bruise left upper chest, a few inches below my ICD.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. 121st Street is the northern end of the ride I did, 131st Street is the southern end. The bridge is a couple hundred meters south of 121st Street. The last two pictures are self-explanatory. ;-)

Attachments

• R600_121stSt.jpg
    R600_121stSt.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 131st_Street_Bike.jpg
    131st_Street_Bike.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 10
  • FryDitch_Bridge.jpg
    FryDitch_Bridge.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Looking_South.jpg
    Looking_South.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Crash_Aftermath_1.jpg
    Crash_Aftermath_1.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Crash_Aftermath_2.jpg
    Crash_Aftermath_2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 8

letsbike

Sorry to read of your mishap. Falls are never good for the rider or bike. I was just reading the post about your bike from 2022. I really like that color, and the way you bought it as frame trade-in was very interesting. I hope that you heal quickly and can put you bike back in good order.

letsbike

Did you have to walk 14 miles home after all that?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240430-070245_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240430-070245_Maps.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Jon K.

Did you have to walk 14 miles home after all that?!
No, luckily I was closer. I guess it was only a mile or so home from where I dumped the bike. I wish I could make a custom map to show the route, but that involves a lot of work.

North of 129th Street, there's a business complex-like thing where businesses can rent space - exercise, auto detailing, etc. It's a mile or so from my house to this complex, which then has access to an extension to the Fry Ditch Trail that runs over to Memorial Dr., up across the bridge there, around and under to the east side of Memorial, where the trail goes on to 121st Street.

I was heading under Memorial on a tight descending curve and a runner popped out from the opposite direction (since it's a descending curve, it's pretty much blind) and I wanted to make sure not to cross into his path. I guess I was going a little faster than I thought and got a little wider to the right than I thought, and clipped the tall fence that stops people from flying off into the creek on the right.

Attached a clip from a map, with the "crash site" circled.

Attachments

• Capture_FryDitchTrailatMemorial.JPG
    Capture_FryDitchTrailatMemorial.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 3

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Now that the weather's sort of improved here (can never escape the wind in OOO-oklahoma), I've finally gotten the R600 outside. Mostly along the local paved cycling/walking trail near the house, so not as scenic as the Oregon Trail or the Lippetal, but it feels good to be outside.

I'll try to take pictures next time I'm on the trail, such as it is.
I hope you got through the tornadoes OK. Don't know how close they were to you.