Where did you ride your Cannondale today?

IdahoBrett

Camping trip near the Snake River, SW Idaho.

IMG_0349.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Looks like a paved trail. How long is it? My only rides recently have been commuting between the farm and the shop in town, corn on one side of the road and soybeans on the other.

IdahoBrett

Not paved. Just hard packed desert that varies in width. From the dual seen here (made by campground side by sides). To some single track. If all of it is ridden, maybe 3 miles.

There is a hill that is a pretty good work out for my out of shapeness. I’m out of gear by the time I reach the top an legs are burning pretty good. I’ve ridden it almost every day since arriving.

There is a good Oregon Trail Museum at one end of the trail. Tough folks back then.

IMG_0368.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0366.jpeg

Looks like a paved trail. How long is it? My only rides recently have been commuting between the farm and the shop in town, corn on one side of the road and soybeans on the other.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Nice photos. Is the Conestoga near the campground or is as unguarded as it appears? I can't imagine heading out into the wilderness in one for a journey of hundreds of miles.

IdahoBrett

Nice photos. Is the Conestoga near the campground or is as unguarded as it appears? I can't imagine heading out into the wilderness in one for a journey of hundreds of miles.
Yes the wagon is unguarded. With just a sign that says keep off. It is within the campground, alongside the access road for the museum about 100 yards further.

One of the automated recordings in the museum stated 1 in 10 travelers perished along the journey.

As a mechanic I marveled at the simplicity but effective mechanicals of the wagons. I even pointed out to my kids the similarity of the brakes for the wagon to the rim brakes of their bicycles.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Wouldn't want your 3 ton wagon to run over your team of oxen or mules on a downhill, but it probably happened. Did the brakes contact the rim on the side or the outside diameter?

Wagon just looked so isolated, made me think of possible vandalism.

10% death rate is more than I would have guessed. My perception is clouded by watching
Wagon Train.

IdahoBrett

Outside diameter. Wish I would’ve taken a picture.

I’m surprised as well that there isn’t a worry about vandalism. Kids can be destructive when nobody is watching. As a youngin’ I probably would’ve hopped on in. But vandalize? Nope, wasn’t raised that way.

The 10% number does seem low. But some of the displays led me to believe that a fair amount were not adults.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have a family cemetery here on my farm. Most of the graves are children from the mid to late 1800s. Age range from infant to early teens. I'm guessing cholera or scarlet fever but haven't researched what was common cause of death at the time.

kjop

IMG0002.jpg
IMG0003.jpg
IMG0004.jpg
IMG0001.jpg

last couple of months i'm riding through a region here called 'lippetal'... it is very flat terrain near a river called 'lippe'. on my 120km circuit today i had only 180m of elevation. on endless narrow roads between small lakes and woods left and right. driving from one small village or farm to another... no cars and during the weekdays almost no other bikers. not a sight seeing tour, but for sure nice to ride. sometimes it goes left and right and left between longer passages of an endless road. so it's not boring at all :)

kjop

the CAAD5 is nice, coz it's the last one with a threaded bottom braket. since CAAD6 there are pressfit. and the CAAD5 has also already the integrated headset. CAAD3 2002, CAAD5, CAAD9 are models i would look for on vintage cannondales to ride with.

and one more point for the CAAD5 and models before is the concept of 'power pyramid' on the down tube, which gives more stiffness to the bottom bracket. on later models you can't find this concept anymore.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
View attachment 10665View attachment 10666View attachment 10667View attachment 10664

last couple of months i'm riding through a region here called 'lippetal'... it is very flat terrain near a river called 'lippe'. on my 120km circuit today i had only 180m of elevation. on endless narrow roads between small lakes and woods left and right. driving from one small village or farm to another... no cars and during the weekdays almost no other bikers. not a sight seeing tour, but for sure nice to ride. sometimes it goes left and right and left between longer passages of an endless road. so it's not boring at all :)
The photo of the canopy of trees over the super smooth looking pavement has great appeal to me. We don't lack for low traffic roads where I live but smooth pavement, shade and shelter from the wind can be hard to come by.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
the CAAD5 is nice, coz it's the last one with a threaded bottom braket. since CAAD6 there are pressfit. and the CAAD5 has also already the integrated headset. CAAD3 2002, CAAD5, CAAD9 are models i would look for on vintage cannondales to ride with.

and one more point for the CAAD5 and models before is the concept of 'power pyramid' on the down tube, which gives more stiffness to the bottom bracket. on later models you can't find this concept anymore.
The CAAD5 and CAAD6 road frames are identical except for the BB30 bottom bracket on the CAAD6. CAAD7, 8, and 9 could all be had with threaded BB shells. I have two CAAD7s that are threaded and have 3 CAAD9s which all have threaded BBs. My main consideration when looking at anything from a CAAD3 to a CAAD9 would be size, condition, and paint/graphics in that order. I think they are all fine frames.

IdahoBrett

The CAAD5 and CAAD6 road frames are identical except for the BB30 bottom bracket on the CAAD6. CAAD7, 8, and 9 could all be had with threaded BB shells. I have two CAAD7s that are threaded and have 3 CAAD9s which all have threaded BBs. My main consideration when looking at anything from a CAAD3 to a CAAD9 would be size, condition, and paint/graphics in that order. I think they are all fine frames.
Not to derail the thread, but what determined threaded vs. non-threaded BB?

kjop

I have two CAAD7s that are threaded and have 3 CAAD9s which all have threaded BBs.
oh thanks for that input. was thinking, the bb30 on these frames were all pressfit. so kool to know it's not. so they're all still threaded with the bb30 or are there frames with pressfit after CAAD5?

Not to derail the thread, ...
good point. maybe an admin could move these posts to a new thread like 'Differences in CAAD / CAD history' or something? i stumbled frequently in other forums about this topic, where people were asking about the differences. so could be a useful thread for others too.

Last edited:

kjop

The photo of the canopy of trees over the super smooth looking pavement has great appeal to me. We don't lack for low traffic roads where I live but smooth pavement, shade and shelter from the wind can be hard to come by.
yes it's a nice area to 'collect kilometers'. on hot summer days you've extra shadow from the trees there, what makes it felt a couple of degrees cooler. and you can jump into one of the lakes shortly, if it's too hot... xD

but have to ride also 2 hours with the bike before i got there from home. here in my hometown even the bike paths are more worst than the nice asphalt farm roads over there^^

IdahoBrett

I don’t know about anyone else. But I sure would enjoy more photos from @kjop !

Or anyone else for that matter. Fall colors should be starting for some folks out there….

kjop

jap would be nice to see where you guys riding your bike too :)

usually i do not take any electronics except the bike computer with me when i'm out with the bike. but maybe i'll carry out the camera from time to time. as i did when i had found your thread :) i guess here in germany we have still ~2 month with moderate weather. this year. then it get's nasty and i don't ride the bike anymore when it's wet or too cold outside. hiking season is incoming^^

IdahoBrett

Thanks @kjop ! Seeing photos of Cannondale rides far beyond where I live is a vicarious experience. A long, long time ago in the days of my youth I travelled abroad. Far and wide. To see photos of places such as Germany, is a two dimensional journey I may never see in person. So thanks!

Hope others will share their “where did you ride….”