Where did you ride your Cannondale today?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Certainly looks wet there. We had about 65 cm of snow here in January. It's pretty much melted off the open areas but shaded areas like the bike path are still snow covered. It will then take some time for the path to dry up. It's supposed to get to 10 degrees here today before cooling off again so I'm going to try to ride on the roads a bit.

JohnnyD

Certainly looks wet there. We had about 65 cm of snow here in January. It's pretty much melted off the open areas but shaded areas like the bike path are still snow covered. It will then take some time for the path to dry up. It's supposed to get to 10 degrees here today before cooling off again so I'm going to try to ride on the roads a bit.
Snow??? What's that?

JohnnyD

Today was quite cold, even though there was no wind and it is 5C it feels like sub zero.
The part from the Netherlands were I live is above sea level and with a really sandy soil you would not expect so much water.
This route has been closed for cycling for almost two months now, that is unfortunate, behind this fence there is a nice windy cycling path that goes on for miles.
Hope the water is gone soon and temps go up a little.
View attachment 11381
I would love to find a trail like that here.

Nico

What's the bicycle?
It's a 2012 SuperX, seen from a distance it could look like a SuperSIx because of the similar paint scheme of the SuperSix from that era.
Compared to racing bikes it has a longer wheelbase.
So the bike wants to go in a straight line which gives me a comfortable feeling when cycling on wet slippery roads.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I got out for a short ride on the recently built XS800 but couldn't post while the site was down. Build is an Ultegra triple crank, Deore 10 rear derailleur, 105 triple front derailleur, SRAM 10 cassette, and Microshift bar end shifters. It did get to about 10 that day but I got a late start and finished in the dark when it was much colder. Gravel roads were muddy - I should have put the seat post mounted fender on to deflect the mud. It's well below freezing here today and the wind is howling. Should be warm enough to ride again on Wednesday if I can make time for it.
Cannondale XS800 - black 2001.jpg
3475E.jpg

IdahoBrett

Went for a short sprint through the neighborhood. Maybe a touch over 5km. 0 degrees C.

I did an adjustment on my FD cable tension. That’s better, but I noticed the RD clicking while riding on the bumpy asphalt (chip sealed). As if it was about to shift. Cable tension too high is my guess, because I could trim out the noise with a touch on the shifter.

No real point to the above. Other than to say I need to ride more, wrench less. It’s like an assignment every time I go for a ride. I’ve got my work to check.

Picture before the ride. Nothing spectacular. I’m still amazed I took it all apart and put it back together and it works. More or less. So it’s the same pose for my own gratification.

IMG_1342.jpeg

IdahoBrett

Looks like the saddle is nice. Those tend to be very pricey on eBay.
They are and it was. But I used the "make an offer" option and offered much less than closed auction sales. It was accepted. Much to my surprise. But I still paid a silly amount (I think). So it's likely going to be put back in the original box (it was never used/mounted). Especially if get to riding this bike a lot.

I still struggle with down tube shifting on this bike. It's geometry allows for very quick steering with the slightest of inputs. I'm not keeping the handlebars in the same place as I reach and shift. So the bike turns thataway......

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
A new one must have been very expensive.

SunTour did make both 6 and 7 speed indexed bar end shifters. Perhaps when you have more time on the bike your hand will fall to the right spot without looking down.

IdahoBrett

IMG_1398.jpeg
IMG_1397.jpeg
Same boring photo out in front of my house. Well except for the white stuff. I keep meaning to stop and take a photo mid ride. But I’m usually into a cadence that I don’t want to interrupt.

I did climb a hill that used to be my fitness tester back when I ran a lot. I wanted to test the gearing on a touring bike. Works good. I am not ready by a long shot to test it with bags. But I enjoyed the ride. With one exception; finger gloves. It was -2C. After about an 8km ride I realized they were a poor choice.

ChrisE

Yes, it's one from 1993

Yes, they are Race Face cranks, I installed the crank, previously there were Shimano LX cranks.

Pedals are MKS XC-III Beartrap pedal
IMG_7246.jpeg

Last edited:

letsbike

MKS makes a series of pedals they call Next which have an added set of bearings for a total of three sets per pedal. These are a seriously smooth pedal. I love them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313-172426_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313-172426_Chrome.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 12