Where did you ride your Cannondale today?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
After a couple of falls on the ice riding my M800 I considered buying studded tires but got scared off by the prices. I have pretty much given up riding when it's below freezing.

IdahoBrett

After a couple of falls on the ice riding my M800 I considered buying studded tires but got scared off by the prices. I have pretty much given up riding when it's below freezing.
I considered riding my F3 but decided to wait for an injury to heal (tendon went twang like a rubber band while sprinting across the tarmac last week) before risking another.

IdahoBrett

I hope that won't have any long term effects.
Hope so too. I was walking normally late yesterday. Still some soreness. So it must’ve hurt worse initially than I thought(pain vs damage). Pretty sure I’ll be good for a pedal once the roads clear.

Snow again…
IMG_1111.jpeg

JohnnyD

I picked up a set of Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus studded tires in 26x2.0 for around $70.00. (I pay MORE than that for one of my 29x2.4 Continental Kryptonals on the 2020 Habit) I still haven't installed them though. I've been too lazy, plus it's not really that cold and icy in this part of Texas. Nice to know I do have them if I need them.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That seems cheap for the tires, something around half price from when I looked.

25" of snow here since January 7th. I'm getting really tired of shoveling.

IdahoBrett

I’m liking the thread drift as I watch more snow falling outside.

I’ve never thought about studded bike tires before. I’ve just finished a bit of reading and like the idea. But I’m not a bicycle commuter. Not sure if it would be worth it to equip a bike for recreational riding. Probably not at my frequency.

Does get my brain gears spinning for setting up a bike for winter riding though. I can’t envision anything in my current inventory I’d like to set up for winter riding. My touring bike would fit some good size tires. But drop bars? Hmmm….

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Speaking of drift, you'd be watching the snow blow by if you were here today. Sustained 25 mph wind, temps around 10 (down to -6 at 10 PM), and gusts to 35 mph. I wanted to get to the shop today to stoke the wood furnace but neighbor said the plows hadn't been out all day in either township I need to drive in.

The M800 Beast was not ideal for winter due to the high bottom bracket. In the mid 1990s the touring frames had the lowest BB so they would probably be my first choice. If you don't like the idea of a drop bar the hybrids had only slightly higher BBs.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Those tires would be good for me on most of my rides all year round, as most rides have some gravel miles. The tread doesn't look took aggressive, so should be fine on pavement. Surely weigh a bit more than road tires but not a factor for the riding I do.

IdahoBrett

IMG_1151.jpeg
IMG_1153.jpeg
The Kenda CX tires receive two thumbs up from me. The neighborhood roads are still covered. It’s been above freezing during the day for the last 2 days. They handle the bare ice fine and on the slushy sections as the tires broke through to the ice underneath they do well. To be honest my speed was at a leisure ride pace on the slushy, ice covered roads. Until I hit the well travelled roads that are just wet. Then I made sure I felt some muscle burn.

letsbike

I took the long way to the post office to take advantage of the 50 degree (10C) temperature. My route took me across the path of the first cross country, overland, mail route in the U.S. Saint Louis to San Francisco.

Attachments

• 20240123_094726.jpg
    20240123_094726.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240123_100640.jpg
    20240123_100640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240123_100654.jpg
    20240123_100654.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20240123_103206.jpg
    20240123_103206.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240123_103602.jpg
    20240123_103602.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240123_104354.jpg
    20240123_104354.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240123_095519.jpg
    20240123_095519.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

kjop

thanks for taking us with you :D the bridge is nice! and interesting method to use these shifters and it's cable routing. i proably would hit them all the time with my knee^^

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Long way between STL and SF.

Times have changed. USPS failed to deliver mail here for almost a full week even though I was able to make it to town every day but one in that period.

Nico

Today was quite cold, even though there was no wind and it is 5C it feels like sub zero.
The part from the Netherlands were I live is above sea level and with a really sandy soil you would not expect so much water.
This route has been closed for cycling for almost two months now, that is unfortunate, behind this fence there is a nice windy cycling path that goes on for miles.
Hope the water is gone soon and temps go up a little.
fietspad afgesloten.JPG