Where did you ride your Cannondale today?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Not to derail the thread, but what determined threaded vs. non-threaded BB?
Cannondale came up with BB30 (non-threaded) in order to lighten up the crank assembly by using a hollow spindle which required a larger bearing outside diameter than would fit in a threaded BB shell. Klein had used press fit bottom brackets previously but they were for standard square taper cranks and weren't any lighter than threaded bottom brackets.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
oh thanks for that input. was thinking, the bb30 on these frames were all pressfit. so kool to know it's not. so they're all still threaded with the bb30 or are there frames with pressfit after CAAD5?

CAAD6 and CAAD5 were introduced at the same time (2001 model year). CAAD6 was BB30 and CAAD5 was threaded. CAAD7 and CAAD9 frames were made both ways. As far as I know, all CAAD8 frames were threaded. One way to identify threaded BB models is the ones that came with Shimano cranks are threaded, as were most if not all with FSA and Truvativ cranks.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Back on topic, my only ride in recent days was on my 1985 ST400 after parking a truck load of hay inside in anticipation of rain that never happened. We have only had about 18" of rain this year, normal is about 30". Couldn't find a picture of the ST400, will have to take one.

kjop

todays circuit was kinda sightseeing tour :D have added some links to a map, to see where the picture was shot :)

at first i came along the not longer in use power plant 'Kraftwerk Westfalen' in hamm-uentrop.

IMG_20230914_145412.jpg

then i was riding over to the hindu temple, also in uentrop.

IMG_20230914_150245.jpg

after the temple the cannondale visited the old colliery 'Zeche Westfalen', almost in ahlen.

IMG_20230914_153311.jpg

crossed the 'Datteln-Hamm Kanal'.

IMG_20230914_161527.jpg

in the last couple days we had a lot of heavy rainfall. on my way back home some farm road were lakes now :D no way to follow the roads without getting wet shoes. so i had to add 15 extra kilometer to my circuit to ride around the 'Ahsewiesen'-area.

IMG_20230914_173242.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_173242.jpg
    IMG_20230914_173242.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Wish we had received that much rain here, though not in one day. We need it to soak in, not run off.

Are all nuclear power plants now disabled? Last time I checked I live in the state 2nd most dependent on nuclear power in the USA (New Jersey is 1st). Three power plants are within 100km and the 4th is about 160 km away.

kjop

Are all nuclear power plants now disabled? Last time I checked I live in the state 2nd most dependent on nuclear power in the USA (New Jersey is 1st). Three power plants are within 100km and the 4th is about 160 km away.

on wikipedia you can find a listing with all nuclear power plants in germany. there is also a column when they were started and disabled. unfortunately there is no english version. but using an online translator can be helpful.

what i know for sure, this power plant in uentrop (krafterk westfalen) was used for burning coal to get energy. that was shut down in 2021.
it has also a building with nuclear energy (thtr-300), but that wasn't used since it was build in 1983, coz of security issues. so since the 80's the energy company is building it back. and this will continue several years in future. also to build back the whole area will take generations... if it ever happens.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Lots of wind and solar power installations being constructed in my area. There's quite a bit of opposition to the wind turbines. I'll try to get a shot with a sign or a wind farm with a Cannondale next time.
stop wind turbines.jpg

IdahoBrett

I think of sycamore as an eastern tree. Will have to get a pic of one on the farm here.

Hope you can get some more miles on the R500 soon.
Sycamore=huge leaves for fall clean up. Plus the “molting” of tree bark every other year-ish.

The plan is to get some riding in once the kiddos are off to school in the mornings this week. Before I head to work. As long as fall house stuff doesn’t get in the way…

kjop

todays circuit brought me to the port of hamm-westen (hafen hamm) at the datteln-hamm-kanal. have added a link to a map again. autmn is coming here... tempratures at day around 20°C, but the wind was blowing cold and strong. it felt way colder...

_DSC0100.jpg

and some other pictures from today...

_DSC0076.jpg

_DSC0105.jpg

_DSC0091.jpg

_DSC0114.jpg

later on my way back home my bottles get empty. so i stopped at a cemetery and filled them with fresh water. alway a joy to get fresh water when running dry :D

_DSC0127.jpg

kjop

Where did you ride your Cannondale today?​

today? nowhere! :p:Do_O

when i look out of the window, i see rain, ice, snow, more or less strong wind... and when i go to the bike, i can see already a thin layer of dust at the frame^^

have not used the bike since somewhere in october. and i can't wait till it's march... april... and i can go out for a ride again. i miss it a lot... :)

_DSC0182.JPG

_DSC0183.JPG

IdahoBrett

Put new tires on a Black Lightning yesterday. Beautiful day for a ride today. But traction on the corners might be difficult.
IMG_1103.jpeg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It looks about the same here though the ground is not fully frozen and the snow is slowly melting. We're supposed to get 6-8" Monday night into Tuesday with 40 mph winds and much colder temps, so it will be a mess. Just about to head out and get enough firewood inside to last a week or so in the shop.