Delta V 600 to Über Delta V!

JohnnyD

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but that make it seem much more likely that this frame has been repainted. If that's the case then that makes it a little less stressful to go ahead and bike the bullet and prep the frame for a repaint. I am still not in a rush to get it done since I have other components to source for the bike first.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I thought that the paint looked pretty original but haven't gone back and compared the photos to what's in the catalog. Regardless I would still lean towards touching it up. There really isn't much point in a pristine restoration of a bike that's going to get ridden.

JohnnyD

Good point. As far as the paint comparision as to what's in the catalog. I haven't been able to see any differences, so if it has been repainted then they did a good job in matching what how it is portrayed in the catalog. Either way, this isn't a task I am going to be taking on right now. I am looking more at finding the parts to get the fork dialed in right. That is more important to me than the other items at the moment. No fork= no riding.. hell other than the stem if pushed came to shove to get the bike to the point of riding it I could temporarily swap in the parts from my M700. I'm not planning on doing that,except to use the XT 3x crankset after reinstalling the original LX on the M700 and maybe the Force 40 brakes as well.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'd think that you would want the Force 40 pivots. To do without them you would probably have to run V brakes. I don't think Cannondale used them prior to 1997.

JohnnyD

I think I confused you by mixing up what my plan for my M700 is with what I am doing with the Delta V.
I prefer the look of V-brakes over cantilever brakes(stopping power isn't all the drastically different from my seat of the pants observation), so what I was trying to say was that I am going to reinstall the original Force 40 brakes back on my M700 and move the V-brakes I have on it now to the Delta V.

JohnnyD

OK, I have a dilemma. I am hoping someone can help me in choosing between using NOS or used LX/XT V brakes on my Delta V, or do I just put on my already existing set of Deore T610 V brakes when I reinstall the original cantilever Force 40 brakes back on my M700 which were replaced with the T610 brakes.

Edit: The reason I am asking is budget related.. There is a offer for yet another amazing '90's Cannondale frame that I want to do some serious justice too by using some killer components on. Hence, if I use my existing V brakes on the Delta V, that leaves the money I would have spent on LX/XT brakes for it can go into putting other items on the new bike frame.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I think it depends on the build you are going for. I have a 1991 SE1000. (frame only). I went for 1991 DX. Everybody does XT. So I went for a little different. I have a 2005 Prophet full 2013 XT. NOS I feel goes on a perfect paint NOS looking frame. or a full restored paint. I personally would go full groupo on the Delta V, whatever year you feel. It depends the route (time period) you want to go for your new project. :)

JohnnyD

I think I explained my "idea" for the bike.. I want the bike to look used but taken care of and upgraded over the years as the owners skill level got better and parts wore out. "Retro-upgraded" for lack of a better description. No need for pristine showroom only bikes and parts. I will be riding this and my other bikes.
I had forgotten about using DX parts as well. The over all goal is going 3x9 on the drivetrain since I have a very nice condition M760 crankset already as well as a rim brake wheelset that is capable of supporting a 9 speed cassette. I have the brakes and levers if I use the Deore t610 setup once I remove it from my m700. I have an ST-EF65-9 combo setup on the way as well in case I want to go the all in one route. Still need to find a handlebar and stem for the bike as well.

JohnnyD

First off, Merry Christmas everyone!
Secondly, the elves found me a front and rear derailleur/shifters combo...$50 shipped! I ordered replacement pulley wheels for the rear(as well as ones for my Deore LX M550 on the '92 M700)

Attachments

• p6pb20150470.jpg
    p6pb20150470.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • p6pb20150472.jpg
    p6pb20150472.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 84
  • p6pb20150471.jpg
    p6pb20150471.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 105
  • p6pb20150493.jpg
    p6pb20150493.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • p6pb20150495.jpg
    p6pb20150495.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 106
  • p6pb20150500.jpg
    p6pb20150500.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 104

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Looks like a great deal. Do you know what year(s) that version of LX was made? I don't remember them but am thinking they might be the last version of LX.

JohnnyD

The M580 series was released in 2004 according to what I found on Shimano's website.
https://www.shimano.com/en/100th/history/products/result.php?id=51#gallery-5

I thought it was a pretty good deal. I wasn't worried about the pulley wheels, since I was going to replace them anyways. Hopefully I'll pick up a matching crankset in decent condition to put on the bike as well. The "small" parts aren't being a pain in the behind ATM.. now dealing with the Headshok is a whole other can of worms. I'm debating on picking up a new RockShox coil or air fork with V-brake mounts for it and just putting the rebuild of the Headshok on hold.

JohnnyD

You have other bikes to ride. Why spend money on an alternative fork that you won't want on the bike long term?
You are right about that.

Good thing I never mentioned my insane idea of picking up a Lefty Fatty Solo DL50 fork to put on it. I "might" consider picking up a post 2010 Cannondale if the right Bad Boy or Contro were for sale, they are about the only newer Cannondale's that really catch my interest. There is something about the Lefty Rigid and the Fatty Solo forks that make those bikes one of the few newer bikes that I like.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have a 2011 CAADX Cyclocross frame that I like better than my older XR800s because the geometry is better for me on the 2011 frame. I've seen new Leftys on some high end custom titanium frames, so they must have their fans.

JohnnyD

I like the look of Lefties,I enjoy being different than the "norm". I am not sold 100% on their reliability, well maybe the Rigid version. It's a moot point becuase I picked up a black diamond metallic Headshok ultra fatty with stem today locally, that works very nicely,holds air and super smooth. The price was too good to pass up, even though it is a disc brake only fork. I could swap the internals over to my fork, since I now have the tools to rebuild it(gotta love Christmas!!!) or go disc up front, v-brake rear...I doubt I'll do that though unless I make the front mechanical so I can use my existing levers..
Like you said, there is no need to rush anything at the moment since I am collecting parts for it currently. Wheels are next. I found a set of wheels that are in very good condition, have STX hubs that orginally came with the bike(well the rear is the 8sp FH-MC38. The seller is going to hold them until after the new year for me.

on a side note..as I was leaving for work this morning, there was a Marzocchi jr T that was on e-bay..it went for just over 200! Now that would've be an overkill fork for another '94 Cannondale that I will be picking up soon that needs a fork..too bad it would've been way off geometry wise..oh well one bike at a time!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think disc front/V brake rear is reasonable. Will be interested to hear if you go that route and what you come up with for mechanical disc brakes.

JohnnyD

After posting my reply earlier I did a little bit of research and came up with a couple of ideas.
First being using Shimano both front and rear. Something like the BR-M375 and a BR-T610 in the rear. This wouldn't be too expensive either. I already have a wheelset that is both disc and rim brake compatible that I recently took off my Jekyll and is currently sitting idle, plus I have extra 160 and 180mm discs came with the wheelset.
The better option is using TRP Spyke dual piston caliper for the front. TRP also makes a dual piston cable actuated hydraulic caliper as well which sounds like fun.
Finally there is the good old full hydraulic Magura route. I really like the stopping power of the Magura MT Thrity calipers I have on my Jekyll. So something like the MT Sport two piston for the front and and HS 33 rear hydraulic rim brake for the rear.( this sounds like the most FUN).

Even if I do not go this route on the Delta V.. It is more than just a passing thought to do it on the '94 Super V frame that I am picking up in the next few weeks.. I really want to build it up as a more "top end" build, within the limits of the what the fork and and frame are capable of handling of course. That bike is already getting Velocity Cliffhanger wheelset w/ M525 hubs that are capable of both disc and rim brakes. I just haven't decided on which color black vs silver I want the wheels in.

Hmmm, I think I just figured out what I am going to do with the fork.It makes the most sense to just rebuild the existing Headshok for the Delta V and keep the Fatty Ultra as is and use it on the Super V. I can go the crazy hybrid Magura disc/rim brake on that bike.

edit: I am as bad as my late wife on deciding on a plan!:rolleyes:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Sounds like you are working through the options. Sometimes I think we have too many. Good to have wheels that work with either type brake. I dug a NOS Rocky Mountain frame out of the attic to build for a friend (Christmas gift for his GF) and found that it would take either type of brake in the rear, but the fork was disc only and I didn't have any wheels that would work on it. Ended up building a different frame with V brakes.

JohnnyD

I agree that we have too many options for our own good at times. When I purchased the wheels it was with just this kind of situation in mind. Now if I had only had the foresight to already have the other parts I need/want.

It does sound like a bummer that you didn't have the wheels to build the bike you were thinking of starting with, but I am sure in the end she got a nice bike out of it.