Another frame ID please

Scooter

Thanks , and yes I’ll post this in the Gallery .

I have a question regarding the headshock forks lock out/ damper.
I’m not sure if mine ever had a lockout but when I serviced them (over year ago now) every thing went all ok , now they are assembled and working they on have the damper adjustment and no lock out .
I’ve read an online manual i there is a version which doesn’t have a lockout so maybe mine are this version?
Just wondered if anyone has any more knowledge on this ?
Here’s the owners manual -
https://www.eighty-aid.com/sites/default/files/2000_headshok_lefty_owners_manual_supplement_en.pdf

roKWiz

really nice bike, candy looks great and suits the decals
MC60 around that era didn't have lock out.

Last edited:

Scooter

Ok thanks for letting me know about the non lockout .
Will wait until the weather improves and take it for a blast ..

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Cold in the UK also? It's supposed to get down to -4 F/-20 C here tonight. High tomorrow only 14 F/-10 C. Normal high is 43/6 - we've been running well below normal most of the year so far.

roKWiz

Wish it was that here, been 35 C to 44 C here throughout summer in country Victoria AU. Lots of early morning MTB riding to avoid kangaroo's, bushfires, heat and the brown snakes.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would welcome 35, not so sure about 44. I wouldn't have expected that kind of extreme temp near the coast. Doesn't look to be anywhere near that warm currently. Still doubt you would trade for weeks of subfreezing. It's hard to ride on ice, which we've had a pretty good coating of for two months now.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
We are not used to cold in California. Coldest this season was 39F. :cool:

also, on your candy red.. I would use stick on guides for the middle of the hydro line.

https://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/stick-on-guides

DCA056.jpg

Last edited:

roKWiz

I would welcome 35, not so sure about 44. I wouldn't have expected that kind of extreme temp near the coast. Doesn't look to be anywhere near that warm currently.

Coast ? what coast I'm inland 300km from the sea and have 2 mountain ranges for any cool change to struggle over before it reaches us. 35 C yesterday gradually cooling off this next week to 27 C av.

Scooter

Hi again guys ,
Thanks for heads up on the cable guides , I have purchased some and they are a lot neater and better .
well I finally gave the bike a ride out which was great but had to cut it short due to a fork issue, its making a clunking noise on the rebound .
I’ve just removed the damper as I’m thinking that this could be the problem and having done some searching I’m thinking about getting new seals but I could do with help first .
So here s the damper

98958B84-5E86-47FA-83B8-C2CD9F02D634.jpeg

And would this be the right seal kit -
D53AB955-E351-4FB1-ACC1-4A25428AAF4D.png

Here’s a better picture of the o-rings from a seller on eBay, same kit number KF236
051D376B-5AF1-4EF1-9526-70CA4CA0FA19.png

To me this kit doesn’t look like the right one ? so would anyone know ?

Also the shaft has a screw down inside it here -
66751F16-B577-4EEB-A189-5842FE592163.jpeg

I was reading somewhere that the upper o-rings / seals could not be replaced due needing a press for the Rebuild .
I did try to undo this screw but it’s very tight .
This is my first time with a Headshok damper so any info would be greatly appreciated .
I haven’t got onto the fluid part yet but will do once I figure this part out .
Many thanks guys .
Scott

Scooter

Excellent , thanks for the link,

Well mine never had any oil in the air chamber but I could have the same problem as the guy explained in being that the o ring / seal that sits on the middle of the shaft (the red piston part) could be the offending seal , it doesn’t feel like a snug fit anymore and feels a bit sloppy .
here -
04C746A9-3D84-4E5D-80C2-1A18EFF8F697.jpeg

I’ve contacted qwerty cycles to ask about the correct seal kit availability so I’ll report back if I purchase one , if not I’ll try and source one elsewhere or try the temporary electrical tape method as the other guy did .
I could do with a stronger spring to be honest but that’s another issue .

Martinez

Your internals look almost exactly like in my shock. I checked with a bike shop that fixes Headshok's and they say that the KF236 seal kit is indeed the right one, waiting for my set to arrive.
You can do the trick with teflon tape to make the seal tight, just be sure to use teflon tape, not electrical tape. Teflon tape is very thin, you can almost look thru it and it's used for sealing stuff like water pipes. Electrical tape will not work as it is too thick and too stiff.

Scooter

Ok thanks for the info ,
I’ve not received a reply back from qwerty (cannondale dealer) so I’ve just ordered two different size o rings on eBay .
I tried to measure the original o ring using digital vernier Calipers & trying not to squash it.
It’s tricky but I’ve gone for
2mm thick & 22mm outside diameter
2.5mm thick & 23mm outside diameter
So For a couple of quid I’m hoping it’s one of these ?
If not then it’s gonna be the kf236 seal kit .

Scooter

Scrapped the idea of trying to measure the O-Rings so gonna buy the kit ,
Just need to be sure of the right one ? Dunno Dunno ?
30A30AA8-2736-457D-92E1-88115695E9D1.jpeg

449CCAAA-4AAA-4ECA-B0E7-3C0C426B826A.png

06863F80-7733-4DF2-805A-909621CC157D.png

Can’t get hold of qwerty to ask them directly & they’ve not replied to my email !

Last edited: