Delta V 2000 shock adjuster tool

Guy Redshaw

image.jpg
Hiya all.......again!
I want to remove the spring on my Delta V rear shock and the adjuster is stuck solid. See the picture attached and you’ll see that the tool must be a specific one to turn the ring. Does anyone know where I can get one please?
Thx!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Nothing on eBay that I could find. I'd start with long time Cannondale dealers, or at least shops that sold Cannondale in that era and remained in business. I know of one in my area, now the Trek Store in Davenport, Iowa. Shop is owned by Olympian and former 7-Eleven pro Jeff Bradley. I'll try to give them a call tomorrow.

petergt4

If black lightning can't find one, I'll be able to make one for you, as I'll need to make one for myself for my Delta V 2000.

Guy Redshaw

Nothing on eBay that I could find. I'd start with long time Cannondale dealers, or at least shops that sold Cannondale in that era and remained in business. I know of one in my area, now the Trek Store in Davenport, Iowa. Shop is owned by Olympian and former 7-Eleven pro Jeff Bradley. I'll try to give them a call tomorrow.
Many thanks!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Guy, I have been reading your blog at odd moments and just read the one entitled "Rant". A coincidence as you mentioned liv-cycling in the blog. One of the shops I called on Wednesday is a long time Cannondale dealer, Russell's Cycling and Fitness in Washington, IL. When you click on their "bikes we sell" they only mention Cannondale and Giant, but when you look at the inventory, they have lots of Liv bikes - more than Cannondales. I'd never heard of the brand before. Assume the shop you mentioned and the brand are somehow related.

The staff at Russell's was very helpful but so far have not been able to locate the tool. The mechanic I talked to said he would check with the service manager today.

Guy Redshaw

Guy, I have been reading your blog at odd moments and just read the one entitled "Rant". A coincidence as you mentioned liv-cycling in the blog. One of the shops I called on Wednesday is a long time Cannondale dealer, Russell's Cycling and Fitness in Washington, IL. When you click on their "bikes we sell" they only mention Cannondale and Giant, but when you look at the inventory, they have lots of Liv bikes - more than Cannondales. I'd never heard of the brand before. Assume the shop you mentioned and the brand are somehow related.

The staff at Russell's was very helpful but so far have not been able to locate the tool. The mechanic I talked to said he would check with the service manager today.

Thanx for the blog feedback. I still think my own favourite (if I’m aloud one...) is the Mysterious address plaque. Try that one. It’s not about Cannondales, but it is a bit different. Many thanx for the ongoing tool search.
P.S. my ‘special’ headshock bearing should arrive soon so if it fits, I’ll send you pictures and stuff.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I agree about the one about the address plate. Actually linked to it on another bike forum but don't know if anyone took the time to go there and read it. I trust there will be another blog when you cut the down tube out.....

I just talked to the service manager at the Trek store. He has a couple of wrenches that might work, Can you measure the OD of the nut?

Guy Redshaw

I agree about the one about the address plate. Actually linked to it on another bike forum but don't know if anyone took the time to go there and read it. I trust there will be another blog when you cut the down tube out.....

I just talked to the service manager at the Trek store. He has a couple of wrenches that might work, Can you measure the OD of the nut?

Thanks for sharing.
44mm OD
Thx again.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The guys at the Trek Store didn't find any Cannondale specific wrenches that looked right but said they have a BB tool that might work. The only one I can think of that's similar is the one for Campagnolo Mirage/Veloce/AC-H, etc. The flange on those BBs measures 43.23 mm and has 6 notches, so it would be close at least. Depends on how close the tool actually fits the round part of the nut. It might require some filing to get it over the nut. The Park tool is a box end wrench, so you'd likely have to cut the end off to get it over the shock. Here's a tool in Poland that's similar to the original Park and not too expensive. The current Park has some additional tabs that would probably be in your way. I couldn't find a listing for the original (which I have). I'll try to remember to measure the ID of the Park tool when I get to the shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/bottom-bra...980577?hash=item23b2583521:g:oCcAAOSwBqZcISNJ

One other thing you might try is to put the shock in the freezer for a while, then quickly heat the nut with a propane torch. Using a big "Englander" across two opposite notches you might develop enough torque to break the nut loose. You could also wrap the shock with wet paper towel or cloth to reduce the chance of getting the shock too hot.

Guy Redshaw

The guys at the Trek Store didn't find any Cannondale specific wrenches that looked right but said they have a BB tool that might work. The only one I can think of that's similar is the one for Campagnolo Mirage/Veloce/AC-H, etc. The flange on those BBs measures 43.23 mm and has 6 notches, so it would be close at least. Depends on how close the tool actually fits the round part of the nut. It might require some filing to get it over the nut. The Park tool is a box end wrench, so you'd likely have to cut the end off to get it over the shock. Here's a tool in Poland that's similar to the original Park and not too expensive. The current Park has some additional tabs that would probably be in your way. I couldn't find a listing for the original (which I have). I'll try to remember to measure the ID of the Park tool when I get to the shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/bottom-bra...980577?hash=item23b2583521:g:oCcAAOSwBqZcISNJ

One other thing you might try is to put the shock in the freezer for a while, then quickly heat the nut with a propane torch. Using a big "Englander" across two opposite notches you might develop enough torque to break the nut loose. You could also wrap the shock with wet paper towel or cloth to reduce the chance of getting the shock too hot.

Thanx for help & advice

petergt4

...The flange on those BBs measures 43.23 mm and has 6 notches, so it would be close at least. Depends on how close the tool actually fits the round part of the nut. It might require some filing to get it over the nut. The Park tool is a box end wrench, so you'd likely have to cut the end off to get it over the shock...

I couldn't attach this photo in our message so I have it posted here.

The measurements I took were that the outside diameter is 44.5mm, the innermost diameter of the notches is 38.5mm and each notch has a diameter (not radius!) of 9.5mm.

L1050450.JPG

Guy Redshaw

Thanx to you & Petergt4 for the help and advice.
I’m not going to get time to get to it for a couple of weeks so it’s getting a release oil massage and see if it loosens it a bit. Will report back.....

roKWiz

I thought these large locking rings were supposed to be for hand adjusting the spring weights hence no tool required. Or was your stuck on the thread.?
I have a large cloth oil filter wrench which I use on trucks which does not damage the surface when used.

petergt4

I thought these large locking rings were supposed to be for hand adjusting the spring weights hence no tool required. Or was your stuck on the thread.?
I have a large cloth oil filter wrench which I use on trucks which does not damage the surface when used.

There was a tool available for the earlier EST bikes. I’m not 100% positive that these Delta V shocks used one as well, but considering these are smaller that the EST spring nuts, it’d almost be required.

Guy’s situation may be because the threads are galled and basically it’s done if that’s the case.

Guy Redshaw

Hi! All - I still haven’t managed to get the lock ring to move. It’s frustrating and I’ve tried many things, but it won’t shift, so I can only assume it’s a thread issue. Not sure where I would get a replacement either. Any ideas please? Thx!

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Is it stuck with the threads not moving at all? does it possibly look cross threaded? have you tried any penetrate oil? what tools have you used to get a good grip?

Any chance getting a hard block of wood, and a hammer and hitting/tap it by the side? to spin it off? with some oil on the threads...