Cannondale fan from Texas

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I've tried that approach at times but noises bother me. Most annoying thing I've had on a bike was a Tufo tubular tire that had a big high spot - thumped with every revolution. Flatted it the last time I rode, kind of relief to replace it.

JohnnyD

Oh trust me, noises like bikes make bother me too. I just "try" to suppress the urge to fix all of them.

JohnnyD

Found a NOS 1 1/4" threaded headset for the M700. I'm sure that new bearings,cups and races all around will make the steering like new agian. Plus it gives me something to do as the weather changes.

JohnnyD

With your collection of parts and bikes who knows where it went. Thanks for looking. They do pop up on ebay from time to time thankfully. I did have to settle on one with silver cups instead of black. I fear the only real tricky part is going to get the race off the fork. It's been on there for 30 yrs so I am sure it might be a little stubborn, I'll likely take it apart tomorrow evening after work and soak it with penetrating oil for a couple of days to make things hopefully easier. Wish me luck!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I used to have parts organized better but now they are scattered around in 5 locations and I never know where to look. Crown race removal can be difficult but it should be relatively easy on the Cannondale fork

JohnnyD

Here is an update the the M700
I am still working on polishing up the orignal LX crank and wheels:rolleyes:. It's a chore I am not rushing right now.
The bike has had some "trickle down" upgrades to keep it riding along smoothly as ever.
Deore LX M580 3x crankset w/44-32-22T (originally for the Delta V project)
Deore LX M580 Front and Rear 9 speed derailleurs/shifters (originally for the Delta V project)
Deore XT M770 11-32T cassette (originally for the Delta V project)
Shimano BB52 Bottom Bracket
Cannondale Comp. seat post and clamp from the Jekyll
Cannondale Adventure saddle (super duper comfy!!!!)
Madspeed 7 wheels from the Jekyll (rim/disc compatible)
Ergon GP1 grips

I'll be adding some Schwalbe Marathon MTB's to it soon since it's mostly a daily commuter bike..Going 3x9 has really made the bike so much smoother to ride, the 1 to 4 ratio really gets the bike going when riding in the highest gear. Cell phone GPS clocked me at 26 MPH.. not to bad for an out of shape 50 yr old man on a 30 yr old mountain bike...

As for the '94 Delta V 600...Let's just say the Magura HS-33R's looks freaking amazing in silver! Epspecially, for half the price of what they go for here in the USA!!!!!:D:D:D Stay tuned for that build, as I will be taking pictures as I work on it that I'll post in the restoration sub forum..

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Are you sanding the anodizing off the crank or just cleaning it up? I've done the sand/polish routine on a Coda crank, was kind of a chore.

JohnnyD

I am hand sanding the bare metal crank arms to at least 2000 grit to get a near mirror like finish. I've polished aluminum before this way by sanding all the way up to 2500 grit. Takes a while but they look amazing when done right.
I've actually had to polish out scratches in Lexan on a F-16 canopy the same way. If you left swirl marks in it the pilots would B**** like crazy.

JohnnyD

I've been tempted, for about 20 seconds, to polish a whole frame. Then I remember just how long it takes, plus the difficulty of getting around areas like cable guides and tell myself NO WAY! I am already dreading sanding the paint on the Delta V

JohnnyD

I thought I would have some fun this afternoon and shoot a couple of short videos of my tiny collection. They can be seen on my YouTube channel.

JohnnyD

Seems like one of my bikes is getting a slightly older big brother..
Lefty.jpg
BB shell.jpg

JohnnyD

That isn't much to go on. Guessing 2000 model but I can't put Lefty with that color. Closest I can see is Super V700SX
So close on the year. Maybe few other clues will help you. The frame isn't only one color originally, it came with these disc brakes.

brakes.jpg

As a bonus it will be getting these since the bike doesn't have a complete drivetrain. If you ever get to try one, the Eagle groupset is super nice.
.NXRD.jpgNXshifter.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Repainted? I don't recall CAAD decals on the swingarms. No Lefty in 1999, but I guess it could have been added. The Hayes brakes were used in 1999 but not in 2000. I would have said a 2000 model for sure with a build date in November of 1999. 2001 Jekyll 2000 checks out except for the date stamp.

JohnnyD

Are you sure? Either you have the catalogs memorized or you are just DA MAN when it comes to searching them. Either way, you have some serious knowledge. I thought the serial number would throw you off but It is a 2001 Jekyll 2000.

As for the bike being repainted. I doubt it because of the complex factory paint job being 3 colors.
The bike I bought:
Jekyll.jpg

A link to another previously sold 2001 Jekyll 2000.on PinkBike.
The serial numbers are different so it isn't the same bike. I thought it might be because it was sold to someone in AZ and I bought this one from there, Either that or someone got VERY good at restamping frames! The KK (1999) date stamp had me confused too, but I am going to chock it up to Cannondale starting production on the frames for the 2001 model year Jekyll's being VERY VERY early. It's the only logical conclusion really. Too many things on the bike match exactly what a 2001 has though. So your guess is as good as mine.

JohnnyD

I wont be keeping the Hayes disc brakes on the bike. As you probably have guessed by now. I am a huge fan of Magura brakes. I will be adding a set of MT series to this bike as well. I also picked up a complete SRAM NX Eagle 12 speed groupset (new bike take off because the owner wanted an X01).from the Buy/Sell listings on PinkBike as well. Other than that, The only change I am going to do eventually as well is to switch out the stem and bars to 31.8 mm. I am kind of partial to 720 to 760 mm wide bars and you wont find those in 25.4 mm except for some CHEAP Chinese ones I am skeptical of. So I will be adding another new Cannondale take off. Grips will be Ergon GA3's as well because the are super comfy on my old man wrists.
I am anxious to see how much different the bike rides compared to my other Jekyll considering the "improvements" Cannondale made, plus the Lefty vs Manitou fork. I am curious about weights too. The Jekyll 1000 is a hefty 32.2 lbs!!!
I'll take pictures of the bike today when UPS delivers it this afternoon.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't recall seeing a CAAD designation on any other dual suspension frame up to that point I was pretty sure that Super Vs never had a CAAD decal. I don't have a 2001 print catalog and our scan of that one is very low quality. Perhaps all the 2001 DS bikes had a CAAD decal. I can't see any on the 2002 DS range. After seeing the whole frame, I'd assume the paint is original. Your explanation of the date stamp is as logical as any. Some years in that era, USA bikes got Hayes and Euro bikes got Magura. I have Hayes on a titanium Serotta and they have been fine. Bought the bike used and the levers don't match, so I assume one was replaced for some reason. Surprised at the weight of the 1000. I don't recall what the Serotta weighs but I would guess under 30 lbs. It doesn't have nearly the rear travel of the Cannondale though.

JohnnyD

I don't recall seeing a CAAD designation on any other dual suspension frame up to that point I was pretty sure that Super Vs never had a CAAD decal. I don't have a 2001 print catalog and our scan of that one is very low quality. Perhaps all the 2001 DS bikes had a CAAD decal. I can't see any on the 2002 DS range. After seeing the whole frame, I'd assume the paint is original. Your explanation of the date stamp is as logical as any. Some years in that era, USA bikes got Hayes and Euro bikes got Magura. I have Hayes on a titanium Serotta and they have been fine. Bought the bike used and the levers don't match, so I assume one was replaced for some reason. Surprised at the weight of the 1000. I don't recall what the Serotta weighs but I would guess under 30 lbs. It doesn't have nearly the rear travel of the Cannondale though.
I can kind of make out in the catalog that it says Hayes or Magura. Again though that is a pretty low resolution scan so it is tough to make it out 100%. I am going to keep the Hayes for a little while regardless, although I will be replacing the rotors since I have a new set of Tektro that I have never used that came with a wheelset I bought.

As for the weight of my 1000. I think some of it is in the fork, although I recall that the Manitou Markour is just about 4 lbs. Not sure what a Lefty weighs, but that may be some of my weight issue.