86 SR500 Project is Moving into the Strip and Repaint Stage

wild

The SR 500 project is about 90% complete, and the bike is in better shape than I first thought. It still needs the crank and the quill for the handlebar stem, and the decals haven't arrived yet, but I looks like a bike again. I posted the before and after as it is right now.

ST-500.jpg

SR-500-2.jpg

wild

I always thought it was a wedge until I tried to buy one. Apparently it is called a quill, at least that is how I finally found one. "UNIVERSAL BICYCLE QUILL STEM BOLT BIKE PARTS 575" (from eBay).

quill.jpg

wild

I finally gave up on the pedal removal project. Heat, oil, drilling relief holes into the threads, taking the pedal apart and using an air impact then an eighteen inch breaker bar with a two foot cheater, all failed to move the thing more than one screech. I found a replacement on eBay that can be here by the weekend. Considering that at my old rate for building equipment this pedal job was going to be worth a couple of grand, It made more sense to buy one. LOL

crank2.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Sorry that I didn't get around to photographing mine and looking for rings. I've been in the hay field every night until 10 PM the last few days.

wild

I remember those days on a big farm we had in Upper Michigan back in the fifties. Forty five pound bales of Alfalfa all day. all summer. I was too small back then at ten years old to toss those things, so I pulled the bailer and chased groundhogs. LOL

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I just wish I had someone to drive the tractor when I'm square baling. I bale until one falls off the rack, then stop and go back to stack. It's very slow but I've never found reliable help at $15/hr. I often bale on the ground as it's quicker to get the baling done, and I can pick them up at night when it's cooler. Here's a pic from a few weeks ago, picking up about 120 bales on a 90 degree afternoon. Still need to get them in the barn, but I'm not caught up on baling yet, and it's been 90+ and humid here every day for a week plus.
WP_20200616_16_06_52_Pro[1].jpg

wild

Nice looking spread! Dad had a couple of high school football players that ran alongside the wagon and threw the bails up with pitchforks. When it was time to get the hay in it was an all hands effort! Mom drove a 48 Ford flatbed with the top of the cab cut out that had a bale loader hooked to it. She spiked the brakes one day and two of the hired hands fell into the cab.

wild

Well, except for not having the right year logo, the red on silver looks pretty good! I'll shoot a couple of coats of clear over it when the rest of the project is complete next week.
Decals1.jpg
Decals2.jpg
Decals3.jpg

SR400 -105

This looks very nice. I do have a question. As I recall the SR500 frame ( the Criterium Frame) had very long dropouts for the wheel axil. The frame as pictured looks more similar to me to an SR400 frame (team comp). I am obviously not an expert but my riding buddy of many years ago was on an SR500 with 105 and the only the that stood out the most from his bike and mine were the shape of the rear dropouts

black lightning 1987

Staff member
This looks very nice. I do have a question. As I recall the SR500 frame ( the Criterium Frame) had very long dropouts for the wheel axil. The frame as pictured looks more similar to me to an SR400 frame (team comp). I am obviously not an expert but my riding buddy of many years ago was on an SR500 with 105 and the only the that stood out the most from his bike and mine were the shape of the rear dropouts

The cantilever dropouts were first seen on the 3.0 series frames, introduced on the 1989 models. The OP's bike is older. There were SR500 models with both frame types.

wild

Not having much knowledge of the Cannondale bike since they weren't around when I was riding in the seventies, I used the catalogs and member knowledge to determine the model of the bike by the options available for certain models. My frame has a 1986 serial number, and the bike with all of the Shimano 600 accessories for that year was the SR500. However, the 86 SR500 had a six speed freewheel, this one has seven. In 1988 the SR700 was the only model fitted with all Shimano 600 accessories, and also with the seven speed freewheel in the same ratio as this bike has. According to the catalogs, the SR series bikes were the only ones that used the braze on front derailleur mount while the STs used the clamp. And that is about all I know about Cannondale bikes. I have gotten further along with my conversion to flat bar, although the bar is not flat, and hopefully the project will be ready in a week or so. Tomorrow, I'll start on the cables if they get here. The storm slowed everything down a bit.

flatbar4.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Are those shift levers 7 speed? I have a 6 speed pair on a GT MTB that I use to get from farm to farm when I'm moving machinery. The 6 speed shifters work fine.

Hope you didn't have much damage from the storm. East coast looks a mess.

wild

Yes, Shimano SIS 2x7. I should have them cabled next week. I accidently ordered the cable guides from Taiwan because I was blinded by the price, but the grips and the cable stuff should be here today. That hurricane caught almost all of the weather folks off guard. Fortunately, there is Mike's Weather Page, and he had forewarned us that it would build strength the day before the Weather Channel did. When it made landfall right below us, it had sustained winds of 85mph and gusts to 105mph.Half of our neighborhood lost power for a day, but we had minimal roof damage with no leaks, and I didn't have to fire up the generator. I'm sure it will get some use before the end of the season with 5 major hurricanes predicted.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Sounds like pretty minimal damage considering the conditions. If I was out of power for a day I would have run the generator just to give it some exercise. I need to run mine as it hasn't been started since winter.

wild

We were more fortunate than many as far as damage, same thing with Florence two years ago. I have to believe that prayer is our best protection. I just bought this generator, a 4000 watt unit to keep the fridge and freezer on. I like going primitive from time to time, but my wife doesn't, so putting up with the noise from the generator isn't an option.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The little (carry in one hand) Honda generators are very quiet but pricey. Great for camping if you just want to run a few low wattage things.