86 SR500 Project is Moving into the Strip and Repaint Stage

wild

The clamp FD was a better setup for several reasons. It never registered with me that the ST frames used clamps, even though I've owned several.

What crank arms are you working with? Guessing that I have something here that would replace them with much less effort than drilling out pedal threads.
I appreciate the offer and might take you up on it. I am meeting the guy that I got this one from today, and he seems confident that he has some options. He was also confident that this bike was in great shape, LOL.
The crank arms have "EDGE" embossed on the chain side face, but no other markings except the number 170 on the other side. I'll get some pictures up later. Today we are headed out for a trip to Wilmington, NC, our first small road trip since February.

P.S. I just found out that the crank set is a Suntour "EDGE".

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I do have a pair of Edge arms that I bought at the Chicago swap meet a few years back, $25 shipped to you. You might see what's available at the local bike co-op. 6/7/8 speed road cranks are pretty much interchangeable as long as you get the right bottom bracket. I don't know if there's a co-op in Jacksonville but Urbanbikeproject in Wilmington might have something.

wild

I do have a pair of Edge arms that I bought at the Chicago swap meet a few years back, $25 shipped to you. You might see what's available at the local bike co-op. 6/7/8 speed road cranks are pretty much interchangeable as long as you get the right bottom bracket. I don't know if there's a co-op in Jacksonville but Urbanbikeproject in Wilmington might have something.
That is a good price. If these won't loosen up, I'll take you up on it.

wild

Here is the frame partially assembled. I still need to clean up some of the chrome parts, but it looks like I'll be test driving in about a week. I do need to find a solution to the shifter cross bolt mount which is rusted pretty badly.
frame14.jpg

frame13.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would just clean that up the best you can and coat the cross bolt with grease. I doubt it will ever give a problem. Guessing you won't be dipping the bike in the ocean when it's done.

wild

I would just clean that up the best you can and coat the cross bolt with grease. I doubt it will ever give a problem. Guessing you won't be dipping the bike in the ocean when it's done.
I've got it in hot vinegar for a bit. Your suggestion is the way I'll probably go. There doesn't seem to be other avenues except the clamp on out there.

MikeA

I've never tried vinegar, but Evaporust works very well. Can't wait to see this with the decals on!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I've got it in hot vinegar for a bit. Your suggestion is the way I'll probably go. There doesn't seem to be other avenues except the clamp on out there.

There is an aftermarket version available. It requires a bit of file work to match the radius of the big down tube on a Cannondale. Very inexpensive though. I'm too lazy right now to look up the link but it's here in a couple of other threads on the DT shifter subject.

wild

The SR500 project is starting to look like a bike again. I still have the handlebar stem to contend with as well as the crank arms, pedals, and the decals, but the old girl is coming together.

Assembly1.jpg

wild

What bottom bracket did you use? I have some SunTour catalogs here but they don't list BB spindle lengths, just part numbers.
This one had a Shimano 600 68x113 in it, which leads me to believe the Suntour crank was installed later. I bought a Shimano cartridge for it. The problem I'm having now is the darned pedals. The steel is so hard they won't drill, and heat is not budging them. If your Suntours look like the picture, I'll take them. Let me know how to get you paid. You can email me: will@willdallas.com

crank1.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I haven't gone through the catalogs but Edge sounds right for that era and model. I would guess that the original SunTour BB was replaced with a Shimano at some point, if I am correct in assuming that the stuck BB was a Shimano 600.

What I was asking about though was what BB have you installed? I wouldn't want to send you crank arms that would require a different spindle length.

wild

I replaced the Shimano BB with a Shimano cartridge of the same length, 113mm. The lug width is 68.

BBspindle.jpg

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Did you check clearance at the rings and ends of the arms to the frame before you pulled the crank? You generally want the arms mounted inboard as far as possible in order to get the best chainline. If the crank was well positioned before, I'd think it would be fine with the new BB. Do you have the chain rings off the old arm and are they usable/the right tooth count for you? Edge should be 130 mm bolt circle. I should have some ring choices if you need them.

wild

The chain rings are in good shape, 52T and 42T, and the bolt circle is right at 5" (130mm). Whether the tooth count is right for an old man, well, that is something to be determined. LOL I called around locally to find a new quill for the handlebar stem, but I was told they didn't sell them separately. I found one exactly like what came out on eBay for cheap!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Not sure what you meant about the stem. The quill is part of the stem, so perhaps that's where the disconnect started. Sounds like you are set there regardless.

38 teeth is the smallest ring that will fit on 130 mm bolt circle. I am over 60, rode 45 miles yesterday, about half on gravel. For most of the gravel miles I was using a 32T chain ring and used a 42 on the pavement. This was on a road bike with 35 mm tires and a 12-25 cassette. There are lots of folks my age who could have ridden that ride in the 42 though.

If you haven't been on a bike for a while, it might be best to start with what you have and see how you get along.

wild

I ride an old steel mountain bike a couple of miles through the neighborhood every few days. This new one would have to be easier on the legs than that one is. All I want now is to get it finished while I'm still young enough to ride it. LOL

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The road bike will roll easier and be lighter but will be much higher geared, especially at the low end. Let me know if you want me to look for a smaller ring. I will try to get pics of the arms soon, but busy in the hay field for the next few days. I would still recommend that you try some Kroil on those pedals. Gunsmiths swear by the stuff, but of course they don't deal with AL/steel interface much.

wild

I think this will be fine with the 54-42s for the present. It is very flat down here, and I never get into the middle set on the MT bike. Just let me know where to send the money. Have a great 4th!