2004 Jekyll 1000

JohnnyD

I am really contemplating using a Microshift Advent X setup. It has the features(clutched derailleur) and gear range(11-48t) I am looking for, not to mention an almost obscene price in today's market for anything bike related. If I go that route I will likely use a 11sp narrow/wide chain with it to prevent a little bit of drive train noise vs. the 10sp chains.

I think it helps that my overall plan is to make this a fun but capable full suspension bike. Second to that is to make it look good while doing so.. That's why I went with the much more understated used XT crankset and Wolftooth chainrings vs. the loud and in your face Raceface ones or a Renthal. I'll leave all the "bling" for the youngsters, or for when I finish this bike I might build something off of a cheap( $1000.00 is cheap right???) all carbon Chinese bare frame.

JohnnyD

Here is a quick update. The bike is mostly done. All that is left is fork,handlebar and stem.
Some updated pics coming soon.

JohnnyD

So did you go with Microshift? Interested to hear how it works.
Yes, I did go with a MicroShift Advent. I decided to save a few $$$ and chose the 9 speed version vs. 10 speed Advent X. Plus I was getting frustrated find a single vendor who had the cassette, shifter and rear derailleur in stock with the Advent X. So I picked up the 9 speed from Universal Cycles.

Setup was a breeze as far as indexing everything goes. Granted, the install isn't finalized since I still don't have the fork, handlebar and stem ordered. I did however install the shifter and Magura MT Thirty brakes temporarily on my old handlebar from my M700 and everything works perfectly. We'll see how it will all perform once the bike is completely done though. So far I don't see any problems.

With the money I saved on going 9 speed vs 10.. I picked up a NOS Deore FC-M590 triple in black for the Jekyll and to do a little "update" on the M700... more to come on that too!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Seems like everything that I have checked recently at Universal has been out of stock, so I'm kind of surprised that you were able to source what you needed. What is the range of the 9 speed cassettes?

JohnnyD

Seems like everything that I have checked recently at Universal has been out of stock, so I'm kind of surprised that you were able to source what you needed. What is the range of the 9 speed cassettes?
11-42T
For cassette,shifter,derailleur,chain,missing links, cable and a cassette tool I was all in at $204 for the 9 speed. It's 228.95 plus tax right now for the whole 10 speed Advent X setup, which is all in stock from UC right now. Not huge difference in pricing between the two, but I used it to do the upgrade on the M700. As for things being in stock. I know how you feel. That's the reason I haven't ordered the last few items I need to finish the bike. The 26" fork is not in stock anywhere, so I might go 27.5 and just run my 26' front wheel on it. The only reason I am considering that is due to the Axle-crown measurement on the 27.5" fork is 494 mm vs 478 mm on the 26". From what I've been able to gather from Cannondale documents the Lefty's that came on the Jekyll's are 500 mm, so the 27.5 fork is closer to the same overall size. Which unless I am forgetting something when it comes to geometry keeps the headtube angle closer to what the Jekyll orginally had as well. I'm more worried about that than I am about a little more clearance between the tire and arch.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Agree on the fork. The 27.5" sounds like a better replacement.

The 9 speed Microshift sounds like a good option and is pretty reasonably priced.

JohnnyD

I am amazed at how good the price on it is. One of the things I noticed on about it that none of the youtube reviews I've seen have mentioned is that the shiftcable is extremely smooth feeling and prelubed as well. It felt like a much higher quality cable than some Shimano cables I've used before.

JohnnyD

All that is left now is to install the grips and shorten the brake hoses and the Jekyll is done. Then it is picture time!!!!!

JohnnyD

Not the greatest pictures
20211008_130501.jpg

Now which do I ride?????
2004 Jekyll & 1992 M700
20211008_130923.jpg

Both!

I still have to do a few little things, but the Jekyll is done and so much fun to ride.
Here's the list of parts used
Frame: 2004 Jekyll 1000
Headset: Cannondale KP058 to conver
Handle bar: Cannondale C3 760mm
Grips: Ergon GA3
Stem Cannondale 100mm 31.8 Stem
Seat Post: Cannondale Competition
Saddle: Cannondale Dual Density 145
Fork: Manitou Markhor 27.5
Brakes: Magura MT Thirty 4 piston front and rear with 180mm Magura Rotors
Crank: Shimano FC-M590 with Wolf Tooth 30T chainring and bashguard
Cassette: Microshift Advent 11-42T
Rear Derailleur: Microshift Advent
Shifter: Microshift Advent Trail Trigger Pro
Wheels: MadSpeed 7 26"

I think that about covers everything to get the bike up and running. I still have a few odds and ends to finish up(decals,cable clean up, etc.). I am still on the lookout for a Lefty for it, then I will feel like it's done.
Hope you like it.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
They both look great. I think that I'd really like the M700. It's pretty close to my 1993 M800 but I'd prefer the lower BB and level top tube of the M700. I hope that you can find a reasonably priced Lefty. After 30 years on Cannondales I still have not ridden a dual suspension Cannondale MTB. The only dual suspension MTB I have is a circa 2002 Serotta Ti Soft Tail. It has a shock in the seat stays but no pivot at the BB/chain stay. The design depends on the chain stays to flex, which they do.

JohnnyD

Thanks. I tried to keep everything as close to how the bike would have been back in 2004. Well except for the front fork. I'll hopefully be able to pick up a Lefty Max for it after the first of the year. Assuming the prices don't skyrocket more on 130mm Lefty Max forks and 26" front wheels in the next couple of months. Then it will be send the fork off to Craig @MendonCycleSmith to get overhauled before it goes on the bike. Until then I'll have a little fun with the bike as it is now.
Anytime you find yourself down in my area of Texas I'll let you ride the Jekyll. As for the M700... well if I wasn't the only owner since it was new I might be tempted by a M800. ;) I am the opposite as far as the bottom bracket height and top tube. To be honest the almost level top tube is the ONE thing about the size Jekyll I have that I don't like, had I thought about it before hand I probably would have gotten a Medium blue 600 that the seller still has for sale. If you look at pictures of the smaller frames they have a more pronouced angle on the top tube. I am 5'11" so I can ride Med. or Large frames without too much difficulty either way.. being average pays off sometimes!
I've never ridden Serotta Ti Soft Tail..the design sounds interesting though. I've ridden almost all the dual suspension Cannondales up too the Jekyll as well as a 2009 Moto 4 or 5. I can't remember exactly which my buddy bought, its been a while. Well I haven't ridden a Raven either, I imagine they ride just like a Super V though, except for the creaks and pops I've heard the hollow carbon frame makes.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Hope you find a Lefty. Great that you're going to send it to Craig.

I run a high saddle position which helps me to avoid knee pain. The M800 is a 22" and the seat post is at max height or a little above. It's at least a 350 mm post and might be 400 mm. So I avoid sloping top tubes whenever possible but the M800 was too nice to pass up. I've owned it for somewhere around 25 years.

You're welcome to ride any of my bikes if you are in my area. Not likely you will get another chance to ride a Serotta Soft Tail as they didn't make many. I have a similar Serotta dual suspension road bike that's even more rare.
M800 loaded trailer - cr.jpg
Serotta CST JSTSP (2).jpg

JohnnyD

Great looking bikes. I can now see why you'd prefer the M700 frame over the M800. I find riding with a high seat position feels unnatural for me, which is why you see my seats so low in the pictures. Thankfully, my knees don't bother my when I ride only when I have to sit still for long periods of time, or kneel down on them do they bother me. I don't even like riding newer bikes with dropper posts to raise or lower the seat. Then again I don't go all crazy now like I used to when I was young.:D Since the big 50 is only a few days away now I can tell you that this guy will NOT be riding any double black trails, nope I'll leave those for the youngsters to bang themselves up on.

The only that feels weird when riding the Jekyll is when you do a full on panic stop with the fork not locked out. The nose dives so quick with that 180mm disc on the front its crazy and if you aren't paying attention you WILL go over the bars. After bedding in the brakes I actually pulled of a 180 with it that was totally fun though. So if you are curious about how well 180mm rotors work with four piston calipers the answer is "extremely awesome".

BTW: I love the trailer and rack on the M800. I've had that $20.00 Schwinn bike rack on my M700 since it was new. I just find it useful to have. Now I will have to see if I can find a cool trailer. Thanks for giving me an idea for my next bike project!

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Here are a few extra pics to see how crazy my "Cannondale" itch got when sourcing parts for the bike.

20211008_130605.jpg
20211008_130656.jpg
20211008_130554.jpg

Oh yeah and I get carried away with the US Flag too on the caps for the shock. The tires have them too.
20211008_130617.jpg
20211008_130637.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyD

I updated some parts. This completes the bike except for an upcoming tire change to Nobby Nics and adding a Wolftooth 3 position B-RAD base and strap to the down tube.
Here's the list(items in bold have changed from earlier)
Frame: 2004 Jekyll 1000
Headset: Cannondale SI w/KP058
Handle bar: Cannondale C3 760mm
Grips: Ergon GP1
Stem: Cannondale C3 100mm 31.8
Seat Post: Cannondale C3
Seat Post Clamp: Wolftooth Quick release
Saddle: Cannondale MTB E-bike w/gray sides
Fork: Manitou Markhor 27.5 w/120mm travel and MILO remote lockout
Brakes: Magura MT Thirty 4 piston F/R with 180mm Magura HC Rotors
Crank: Shimano FC-M590 with Wolf Tooth 30T chainring and bashguard
Pedals: Crank Bros. Stamp 1
Cassette: Microshift Advent 11-42T
Rear Derailleur: Microshift Advent
Chain: KMC x10
Shifter: Microshift Advent Trail Trigger Pro
Wheels: Shimano MT15 w/Shimano SM-RTAD05 disc adapters
Cables/Brake hoses: Jagwire in braided silver
Bottle/cages: Cannondale GT40 with Cannondale Gripper 750ml bottles

I'll try to snap a few pictures this weekend. The cable/brake hose clean up really made the bike look so much better. I tried to keep everything black and silver to go with the frame and I think I succeeded:D
Now on to working on the Delta V project in earnest as well as the restoration of the original parts from the M700.:rolleyes: