2004 Jekyll 1000

JohnnyD

Here's the first picture of my "dream" bike restoration.
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I was originally planning on doing this bike as a resto-mod, but after seeing how nice the frame is in person I figure I will keep it as close to original as I can. The only major hurdle I foresee is finding decent Lefty fork and wheel set that doesn't cost way more than I paid for the frame!

Next step is sourcing an XT crankset.

Last edited by a moderator:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
That looks really nice. I had a guy offer me an M739 XT crank for $70 + shipping when I was building my F900 last month. I passed on it as I was really looking for black. I'd guess the fork is going to be the hard part to find.

JohnnyD

That looks really nice. I had a guy offer me an M739 XT crank for $70 + shipping when I was building my F900 last month. I passed on it as I was really looking for black. I'd guess the fork is going to be the hard part to find.
Thanks for the compliment.
The forks are out there..it's only a question of how much $$$ I'm willing to spend.
I'm going the XT route myself, found a great deal on M760 w/ the bottom bracket. Black and silver to boot!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Can't tell you how many times I have been down that road. Hope that you can get it built up without regrets. I must say that even on projects on which I spent too much, I don't remember any that I regret.

JohnnyD

So far the only stumbling block is really the wheels. You can find ALL the parts for them cheaper than actually finding already assembled wheels, it's madness. I am giving up on finding a Lefty for it at a reasonable price, especially once you factor in having it rebuilt on top of the cost of the wheel to go along with it. So the bearing kit to swap it to 1 1/8 is next on the list.
FYI I've set the timeline for completing the build by my birthday NEXT year, so I can space out the bigger purchases.

JohnnyD

I've narrowed it down to either a Manitou Markhor , or the RockShox Recon Silver TK solo Air. Both are about the only 26" 1 1/8 fork still being produced unless you count the really budget Chinese "budget" forks. I am definitely not going to use one of those!

Both the Manitou and RockShox are really the only mid range contenders and I wont pay the ridiculous prices for the high end shocks. For how I will ride the bike the cost vs. performance doesn't add up.

MEENI

Nice project.!!
Patience is the key word
Tip: most of the times it is easyer to buy a less known bike with the right groupset as a whole then trying to source all the parts piece by piece.
I killed a lot of giants to rebuild cannondales :)
Keep us posted with pictures :)

JohnnyD

I will definitely post some pictures as I complete things. My goal is to keep it pretty close to period correct as I can. Hence why I went with an good used XT 9 speed crankset. The only reason I am not going to go either a headshock or lefty on the forks is $$$ involved in them.

FYI. I found out last night that the Jekyll and my M700 use the same rear derailleur hanger. I ordered a replacement as a just in case measure and got lucky with now having a spare hanger for either bike.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would still keep an eye out for an F series Headshok bike on the local market. You might come up with a fork you can use for not much expense after parting out the rest of the bike.

JohnnyD

I had planned on that.. So far no luck, except for a very very beat up Trail locally nothing yet.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Great build. I had a 2003 Jekyll 800 back in the day. Loved it and killed it. I replaced the front with a Jekyll 500 a few years ago, and I am building that now. I love these old Jekylls. Glad to see you are bringing this one back. It looks almost brand new!

also... I feel a vintage headshox is harder to find than a vintage DLR lefty. You might want to look for that instead. The cost on all these "vintage forks" are up there. And....they will all need a rebuild...

JohnnyD

Great build. I had a 2003 Jekyll 800 back in the day. Loved it and killed it. I replaced the front with a Jekyll 500 a few years ago, and I am building that now. I love these old Jekylls. Glad to see you are bringing this one back. It looks almost brand new!

also... I feel a vintage headshox is harder to find than a vintage DLR lefty. You might want to look for that instead. The cost on all these "vintage forks" are up there. And....they will all need a rebuild...
It is in good shape , but it's hardly brand new. There a a few cable/brake hose rub marks on the bottom of the down tube,plus a nick or two on the swingarm. Thankfully, a little touch up paint keeps them from being noticeable unless you are looking for them.
I'd really love a lefty. I rode a buddy's Scalpel with one in '08-'09 and loved it, plus it looks so unique and cool even to this day. Hopefully, a decent one will appear that will just need a good rebuild and I'll be finally finished with my vision for this bike rebuild. Sure I'd love to make it period correct, but I'm tinkerer at heart. Until then I am going to swap in a Manitou Markhor, once they are in stock, to keep the suspension passable ride quality wise.
As for the build progress so far:
I just got the XT crankset and installed it today. It looks super nice with the Wolftooth 30t chainring on it. I finally stopped being fickle and decided on going 1x10 for the drive train. Now I need to find a decent wheel set without breaking the bank!. Ahh, it would be so much easier if there was room for a 27.5 on the rear. Such is life though.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
It is in good shape , but it's hardly brand new. There a a few cable/brake hose rub marks on the bottom of the down tube,plus a nick or two on the swingarm. Thankfully, a little touch up paint keeps them from being noticeable unless you are looking for them.
I'd really love a lefty. I rode a buddy's Scalpel with one in '08-'09 and loved it, plus it looks so unique and cool even to this day. Hopefully, a decent one will appear that will just need a good rebuild and I'll be finally finished with my vision for this bike rebuild. Sure I'd love to make it period correct, but I'm tinkerer at heart. Until then I am going to swap in a Manitou Markhor, once they are in stock, to keep the suspension passable ride quality wise.
As for the build progress so far:
I just got the XT crankset and installed it today. It looks super nice with the Wolftooth 30t chainring on it. I finally stopped being fickle and decided on going 1x10 for the drive train. Now I need to find a decent wheel set without breaking the bank!. Ahh, it would be so much easier if there was room for a 27.5 on the rear. Such is life though.

1x10 is my fav. That is how I ride my 29ers. I am pretty sure the Jekyll rear swing will not fit a 27.5. It is an older low pivot frame. I feel best to keep these original (26x26), for the few that are out there. A lot of these have died and given their life to a uber V build. For your fork, just remember the rake. These are rear travel 135/140mm. They came with 80mm-100mm forks.

JohnnyD

1x10 is my fav. That is how I ride my 29ers. I am pretty sure the Jekyll rear swing will not fit a 27.5. It is an older low pivot frame. I feel best to keep these original (26x26), for the few that are out there. A lot of these have died and given their life to a uber V build. For your fork, just remember the rake. These are rear travel 135/140mm. They came with 80mm-100mm forks.

I decided to go 1x10 after spending a few weeks tracking what gears I actually used on my 3x7 on my M700 I use the most when riding. Turns out I spend about 80-90% of the time on the middle chain ring. That alone convinced me to switch to a 1x setup for this bike. Then it was spending some time researching what is currently on the market and the prices are pretty good on 10 speed cassettes ATM so I can save huge $$$ by avoiding a 1x12 setup. I can't wait to ride this one when it's done...

I did think about putting a 27.5 fork on it, but ultimately decided that is just didn't make sense. Doing that would mean I'd have to carry 2 spare tires/tubes on any non local ride among a few other concerns that keeping it 26" all the way around solves. The only challenge is finding a decent 26" wheelset that is in stock, or optionally building them myself.

I chose to use the Manitou over the RockShox because of a few reasons since feature/price wise they are pretty close. First being that I liked the overall build quality I saw in the 27.5 Manitou model I looked at the LBS when compared to the RockShox. Second reason was pretty much vanity's sake, the rear shock is a Manitou shock. Silly reason to choose a shock, but hey it's my bike! I'm sure I'll be happy with it, since I don't expect this to be the the best bike ever. It is 16 years old after all. I am building it to be fun to ride, be reliable and to look nice too.

Speaking of looking nice, got any ideas of where to find a Cannondale branded chainstay protector for a '04 Jekyll 1000??? I am pretty certain I will need one too keep the replacement decals on the swing arm looking nice after I give it a good polish with some Mother's. The frame decals are nearly perfect so I'm leaving them alone. I'm thinking of using a little of the ceramic coating on the bike to keep it shiny longer. I've been amazed at how well it helps repel water/mud and dirt on the paint on my brothers Jeep.

I forgot to add, I'll be uploading a few pictures tomorrow of the XT crankset I installed today. I forgot to take them while doing it. Plus I will snap a few of the minor rub points on the frame that give the bike character.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Added: Shimano XT FC-M760 with Wolf Tooth 30t chainring and bashguard.

20210804_091012.jpg 20210804_090849.jpg
I wanted the crankset with the right patina to match the frame. I think this one fits the bill.
20210804_091039.jpg

Here you can see that the chain line is going to be pretty good too.

I've also included some pictures of the frame rubs caused by the rear derailleur cable and brake hose.
20210804_090839.jpg 20210804_090908.jpg

It's the little "flaws" like these that tell me that the bike was once at least ridden, despite how well the rest of the frame looks. The rest look like storage marks.

I've even pulled all the bearings out to take a peek at them, they look amazing too. That was a relief since I can put off trying to source a complete set of new ones.