Unknown model with Campagnolo Chorus from 1988?

Canny86

I have been searching for a 1986 SR500 in white like the one I bought new when I was 16 but came across this recently and picked it up. It looks like a factory bike but I can’t find any information on it anywhere. The only thing close is the SR900 from 1989, 90, and 91 but they have the 3.0 frame and Athena components. Any information is greatly appreciated!
IMG_4921.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4926.jpeg
    IMG_4926.jpeg
    806.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4922.jpeg
    IMG_4922.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4927.jpeg
    IMG_4927.jpeg
    846.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4933.jpeg
    IMG_4933.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4935.jpeg
    IMG_4935.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4936.jpeg
    IMG_4936.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4937.jpeg
    IMG_4937.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 39

IdahoBrett

I haven't a clue without diving into the catalogs. And I don't recall seeing anything like it in the catalogs. But I do know this from just looking at the pictures that your bike is awesome! Congrats! What a find!

The serial number will tell you what year it is.
serial number info

Canny86

I should have mentioned the serial number isn’t very legible because of the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_4888.jpeg
    IMG_4888.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 32

Canny86

I haven't a clue without diving into the catalogs. And I don't recall seeing anything like it in the catalogs. But I do know this from just looking at the pictures that your bike is awesome! Congrats! What a find!

The serial number will tell you what year it is.
serial number info
Thanks! I can’t believe it’s in such nice condition for its age.

IdahoBrett

Definitely looks factory. Special Promo or Team?

Others here are much more qualified to answer what it is. I think it's unique. Very unique.

I dig it!

After a trip down google lane I have seen the 89 with the Athena. Same paint scheme. Also in the catalog. So a factory offering that wasn't in the catalog of the day (for 88?). Interesting.

Last edited:

letsbike

There are two others of this model in the Gallery archives. Maybe reach out to their owners for some background information?
It is a very fine looking color scheme. I've always loved chrome forks.
Looks a bit small for you. What do you plan to do with it?
I am always interested in where you find your bicycles also. Was this one local, or shipped? (Or are you vacationing in Italy) :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524-091906_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240524-091906_Samsung Internet.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Canny86

There are two others of this model in the Gallery archives. Maybe reach out to their owners for some background information?
It is a very fine looking color scheme. I've always loved chrome forks.
Looks a bit small for you. What do you plan to do with it?
I am always interested in where you find your bicycles also. Was this one local, or shipped? (Or are you vacationing in Italy) :)
The other bikes you mention are SR900’s with the 3.0 frame and Athena component’s although they share the same paint scheme as the bike I have. There is information on them in the 89, 90, and 91 catalog and plenty of them show up in an online search. The bike I have has the older style frame and Chorus components and searching online has brought up nothing on it so far.
My original plan before I took possession of it was to ride it occasionally but after getting it I’m not so sure it will see much use considering the condition it’s in.
I found the bike on Marketplace although it involved a long drive to pick it up.

Canny86

Okay, I understand now. What condition are you referring to? It looks to be in nice shape.
My plan was to ride it occasionally and I still might but it’s in such nice condition and doesn’t look like it’s had more than a ride or two on it so I would like to find out more about it before I do.

letsbike

Well you have your work cut out for you in researching this bike. Keep us informed; Please.
I looked around for an hour, and all I found concrete was that Chorus was introduced in 1987, & 1988 was the last year of Campy 7 speed.
Also I was totally caught off guard when you said that you would only ride it occasionally because it was in to good a condition. I would never consider that point of view. I figure that I'll be gone from this world at some point, so I'm going to live now.

However you decide to treat your prize, it's VERY nice.

Also: When I said it was a bit small for you, I was confused as to who the owner was. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I wonder if it could have been a mid model year introduction. If so likely would have been called SR1000. I think that the 1990 models have the paint color split closer to the center of the tubes. No Campagnolo on Cannondales in 1991 as far as I can tell. Does it have a Regina freewheel?

Canny86

Well you have your work cut out for you in researching this bike. Keep us informed; Please.
I looked around for an hour, and all I found concrete was that Chorus was introduced in 1987, & 1988 was the last year of Campy 7 speed.
Also I was totally caught off guard when you said that you would only ride it occasionally because it was in to good a condition. I would never consider that point of view. I figure that I'll be gone from this world at some point, so I'm going to live now.

However you decide to treat your prize, it's VERY nice.

Also: When I said it was a bit small for you, I was confused as to who the owner was. Sorry about that.
Even if it wasn’t in nice condition it probably wouldn’t see a lot of use as I have a few other road bikes to ride also. Otherwise my stuff normally sees some use.

Canny86

I wonder if it could have been a mid model year introduction. If so likely would have been called SR1000. I think that the 1990 models have the paint color split closer to the center of the tubes. No Campagnolo on Cannondales in 1991 as far as I can tell. Does it have a Regina freewheel?
If it had been a mid model year introduction I would think there would be some information online somewhere about it but I can’t find anything online pictures or literature. Good eye noticing the paint split being in a little different location than mine. I hadn’t noticed that. The 1989 and 1991 catalogs list the Campagnolo Athena SR900 but don’t show it. Only the 1990 catalog has a picture of it. It has a Regina Synchro freewheel and Regina chain.