Restoring a 1993 R900

Clipmein

There is a jump around gear 4 (can't remember the teeth number without checking), it wants to go from 5 to 3, so you need change back up.
Given the purpose was to resurrect an old frame, give my son experience of bike building and get a decent bike without spending too much; this is something we can live with.

I bought Dura Ace 10sp shifters, not sure of the generation but the cables came straight out of the levers. It was a 5701 RD, despite stripping it right down to the springs we couldn't get it work. Though not sure which element was faulty.

doxilia

Build is pretty much finished. Need to add the decals (great range of old decals from @bicycledecals) and needs a new saddle.

We kept the existing headset and BB as both were turning well. The headset was the Ahead, though the welding wasn't great compared to modern ones. So sprayed it up and looks decent now.

Main issue was either the existing105 rear derailleur was shot or the levers I picked up on ebay were crap - or both. Ended up putting my old Campag veloce shifters and RD with shimano cassette & FD, plus sram chain & bar tape).

Existing front 105 brake was good, bought a new 105 rear brake.

So a bit of a Frankenstein bike, but it runs well, looks good and my son is rightly pride of his work. He did most of the build with me advising mainly.

Because of the ali frame it's actually lighter than my steel Condor Fratelli with carbon forks.

It's that great thing about a decent bike frame - you can make it run with almost anything.

View attachment 12614
On closer look, that appears to be a Cane Creek headset you’re running so they probably had a 1-1/4” version at some point in the past. Likewise on the BB, you’re running an external bearing 24 mm (Shimano) spindle BB.

Both of those are not original from Cannondale but great that they’re both working well!