Help with Conversion

Shimanole

Hey Everyone. I'm new to this forum and a novice at bike repair so was hoping I might get some help here.

I have a 1998 F2000 in the Kameleon Fire color. I'm 6'5", weigh around 260 and due to back issues I'm trying to convert the bike to a more comfort/hybrid style bike. The bike is all original minus a seat change I made years back. It has a stem with about 20 degrees of rise and is around 120mm.

My thought was to find a riser bar with a substantial rise, maybe 4" and a comfort seat to make my riding position more upright. I think I could just recable the front brake to complete the job. Has anyone attempted to do a conversion of this type with any success?

I'm also open to trading this bike for a comfort/hybrid bike that solves my issues.

Thanks,

David

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Does your stem have a two bolt removable face plate? I don't know what the maximum rise is on available handlebars but a removable face plate might be helpful getting it through the stem. You probably have the most rise available on Headshok stems, so there's not much hope on improvement there. Here's a 4" rise bar witha 25.4 clamp diameter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175321677765?hash=item28d1fc7fc5:g:1CgAAOSw8w9iquta&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4KSIXovdUlt0e3VxjV1C8kuSWpzSjSoWH76ZCEsVVs/y7KVuhSMm3MDTgAiQD9HExhOhdC0+A3BgVYzaw3Ka90XTRBUuKHCumodo+yMLWPkoSKJOzAgi6BOwBH2kaNQgNKBZST4hA83UQzyRxBBwBFOVWBE/gEkI1Sz0PyvvG2LVWlfPW6RB6MvXk/QgIlsdH1krYwEzQKraAoVr0EIpP45EC0DVtBC1+S2jXHa1WGFf9BZBX33KvorLDEtxlfFsoQa51wL+ZC+3oCwTrN9z+YmAgGRUDH1r1nUfHPYEOKYs|tkp:Bk9SR-K_nP3lYA

Swept back bars might help as well. They get your hands farther back, which effectively raise your shoulder position.

Shimanole

Does your stem have a two bolt removable face plate? I don't know what the maximum rise is on available handlebars but a removable face plate might be helpful getting it through the stem. You probably have the most rise available on Headshok stems, so there's not much hope on improvement there. Here's a 4" rise bar witha 25.4 clamp diameter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175321677765?hash=item28d1fc7fc5:g:1CgAAOSw8w9iquta&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4KSIXovdUlt0e3VxjV1C8kuSWpzSjSoWH76ZCEsVVs/y7KVuhSMm3MDTgAiQD9HExhOhdC0+A3BgVYzaw3Ka90XTRBUuKHCumodo+yMLWPkoSKJOzAgi6BOwBH2kaNQgNKBZST4hA83UQzyRxBBwBFOVWBE/gEkI1Sz0PyvvG2LVWlfPW6RB6MvXk/QgIlsdH1krYwEzQKraAoVr0EIpP45EC0DVtBC1+S2jXHa1WGFf9BZBX33KvorLDEtxlfFsoQa51wL+ZC+3oCwTrN9z+YmAgGRUDH1r1nUfHPYEOKYs|tkp:Bk9SR-K_nP3lYA

Swept back bars might help as well. They get your hands farther back, which effectively raise your shoulder position.
Thanks BL. The stem does have two screws on the face plate but I think you're right that there is little room for improvement. Thanks for the link to the bars.

Attachments

• Stem Photo.jpg
    Stem Photo.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78