Hello from a 80's C'dale Employee

roddesu

My impression was that it was for the ovalized seat stays, though I'm surprised that could be patented.
I'm about 95% sure the patent was, as others have said, for the oval seat stays.
There was a lot of internal talk at the time (not sure about external marketing efforts) about the side-to-side stiffness it provided. I know there were deflection tests that were done as proof the rear wheel flexed less when compare to steel frames and "screwed and glued" aluminum frames.

letsbike

Are we going to see any pictures of your globe trotting Cannondales on this site's Gallery anytime soon Rod? I, for one, am REALLY, looking forward to seeing them.
Also, reading that patent was very interesting. Thank you for going through the trouble of digging it up.

roddesu

Are we going to see any pictures of your globe trotting Cannondales on this site's Gallery anytime soon Rod? I, for one, am REALLY, looking forward to seeing them.
Also, reading that patent was very interesting. Thank you for going through the trouble of digging it up.
Will do!

Flat tyre bikes

I'm about 95% sure the patent was, as others have said, for the oval seat stays.
There was a lot of internal talk at the time (not sure about external marketing efforts) about the side-to-side stiffness it provided. I know there were deflection tests that were done as proof the rear wheel flexed less when compare to steel frames and "screwed and glued" aluminum frames.
Thanks, Rod I work in manufacturing so how things are made are of interest. Appreciate the patent link.

roddesu

Thanks, Rod I work in manufacturing so how things are made are of interest. Appreciate the patent link.
Mostly what I remember is the sticker appliers being pissed about how small that sticker was. The stickers were manually applied wet to the frame after color painting and before clear coat; it was quite a difficult thing to do. They pulled me and the vendor down to the factory several times trying to optimize the application process and reduce waste. That small sticker ripped a lot and was difficult to position correctly as I recall.