Facebook marketplace brought me back!

gfacer

Bought a '00 (just checked the catalogues again) SV700SX with lefty and hydraulic discs from facebook. I knew enought to guess that the best option was to send the fork off somewhere for service and found Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith here. The fork actually was working but my guess is that it would not have been serviced for a long time.

Unfortunately, the frame size is small so not sure I will keep and ride it or not. It's also got the bonded swingarm. But it appears OK and I assume if I used it more as a crazy looking around town bike I would be OK. I don't know if the hydraulic brakes are factory...but since the tires appear to stock I am guessing yes?

Anyways, this is a *way* newer Cannondale than my other two I have owned. I had a black SR300 that I bought to race when I was 12-13. In university I remade it into a quite skinny tired, raw aluminum hybrid and had a blast for a few more years. It was enventually stolen when I was 25 or so. I had very few issues with that bike over the years.

Mine for a much shorter time was a SM600 Black Red Mullet mountain bike. I was stupid and left it unattended and probably owned it less than a year. Great looking bike though.

I'll post some photos of the 700sx when the fork is back on it!

gfacer

Just saw a 99 Raven 700 for $150!

Ad is pretty old but I might look consider moving the just-rebuilt lefty and other components over to a new frame if the size was better.

JohnnyD

Just saw a 99 Raven 700 for $150!

Ad is pretty old but I might look consider moving the just-rebuilt lefty and other components over to a new frame if the size was better.
I personally think a Raven with a Lefty is the best looking MTB Cannondale ever made.

gfacer

LOL, this one is a little rough I think. But still for sale and he says the headshok is working so if the size is bigger I may buy now figureo out later. He's going to measure BB to seatpost.

gfacer

So, now a '99 Blue Raven 700 added to the mix for $50. It's light, that's for sure. Has disc tabs front and back but V brakes installed. Frame is a little worse for wear but no cracks or holes in the skin that I thought it could have. Are those panels actually carbon fiber? As a plastics guy, the marketing information of "thermoplastic" tells me it isn't but just looks like it. Technically CF would be a composite with a thermoset resin. Thermoplastic usually means heat formable.

The Headshok says super fatty D but has the 5 position dampening dial so maybe upgraded to the SL cartridge sometime? The dial also doesn't seem to do anything and I am not sure if it's holding air well. Silver valve, I think that means something but can't recall what.

Rear shock holds some air but kinda oily and I think it's leaking air too, Alps 5 "model, 5.75 eye to eye.

Honestly, I bought the bike to get me a backup swingarm for the 700sx because of the bad comments on the bonded arm it had. But, I'm not building an uber V, will just use around town. I have emailed Craig at Mendon for his thoughts as I know he is familar with the issue. I believe the SA will drop right in.

But, ultimately what happens with the Raven will depend on the fit of the 700sx. The Raven is one size larger. I would probably drop a new cheap shock on the back (make an adapter like another member here did to avoid the mounting issues) and figure out how to put on tapered air fork (that I already have) on the front. That would be super light and super cheap.

gfacer

So....

I have the lefty reinstalled on the bike. I seem to have lost (and don't think I had the original) the axel bolt so I have just used a washer and a 3/8-24 bolt for the moment. Seems to work although the wheel also needs truing work. The real NOS part is coming, a little pricey though.

I realized, belatedly, that I can't use the swingarm from the Raven without loosing rear suspension travel, and I would have to use a 150mm shock and some offset bushings to get the factory geometry back after the swap.

Posted pictures of both in the gallery.