1999 F4000

PL4

Kicking off a project to bring a 1999 F4000 back to life.
I found it on FB marketplace for $150.
It looks nearly entirely stock, with the exception of the pedals and the stem (the stock stem was included). It has CODA Expert calipers instead of the flaky CODA Compact Discs that would have come on it. Perhaps it came with Expert discs. As I read, Cannondale was replacing the Compacts later in the model year.

Planned work:
Clean
Tune, oil, etc.
Touch-up paint where possible
Rebuild Headshock: Off to Mendon Cyclesmith
Repair Brakes: They are weak now, so I'm hoping a set of pads will straighten it out.
Swap back to stock stem
New Pedals
Remove Dork Disc
Replace Tires: Although, I think it's still rolling on the original rubber!

Any suggestions or insights are appreciated!

Attachments

• F4000.jpg
    F4000.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 14

PL4

Thanks!
I've spent far too much time checking Marketplace and Craigslist, and finally got lucky.

I tinkered with the brakes a bit yesterday; the pads are old, but not worn out.
I'll still replace the pads, but the brakes are spongy even after adjustment. I placed an order for some mineral oil brake fluid and plan to bleed the lines. I have to imagine the oil in there is likely almost 25 years old now!

As I mentioned, one interesting thing of note is that the bike has CODA Expert brakes, whereas the original spec was for CODA Competition. I read the Competition brakes had issues, so I wonder if it came from the factory with Experts or changed over later. Given how the rest of the bike is stock, I'd bet their LBS upgraded them before the sale or shortly thereafter.
The bike has a JG date code = 1998, July.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It wasn't unusual for bikes to be delivered to dealers with parts that were different from what the catalogs stated. That may have been due to supply issues, changing the spec, or simply running out of a part and substituting another.

Reactions: PL4

PL4

Fresh brake fluid, there was a considerable amount of air in the lines. Brakes are almost like new, the replacement pads are in the mail.

Attachments

• IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 9

PL4

Degreased, cleaned and a bit of wax today.
New pedals, while not era correct, they match nicely.
Tomorrow the Headshok comes off to send out for rebuild.

Do I ask to try and keep the old style shock boot, or go with the modern boot?
My F1000 has the new style on it after a rebuild.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11