1986 SR1000

Bradlin

Hello all......I am 74 yr old and my bike riding days are drawing to a close. I have a 1986 Cannondale SR1000 serial #54032086028. The only things that are not origional are: pedals, seat, front stem & handlebars. Everything else is Dura Ace and rims are origional Mava. I have ridden it last 4 summers and hate to give it up! I realize it is a rare bike and I have never seen one for sale. So, I am wondering what the value might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. my email; morton48888@yahoo.dom Sincerely, Brad

Attachments

• IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    729.3 KB · Views: 33

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Where did you purchase it? Black doesn't show as an option in the US catalog but could have been a mid year introduction. I'd start by trying to find sales of the individual components on eBay. Condition is everything in the vintage market. I think the bike would be worth more with original style bar, stem, and saddle but I wouldn't change them until you are sure you're done riding it.

Bradlin

Thanks for replying. I have seen the items on Ebay to bring it to completely origional but I don't want to fool with it. I recently got out of hospital (COPD) so any bike riding has all but ended. Just dont have the lungs anymore. I didn't see black in catalog either, but there is no over spray or re-paint indicators and I believe it to be origional color. I purchased the bike at a ma & pa bike shop, here in Tulsa, OK, and I don't think they knew what they had.
Could be wrong, but reading the serial number states: frame size 54, with a build date of March, 20, 1986, and it was the 28th bike made.
I noticed there is someone in this forum that worked at Cannondale in the 80s. Maybe he could help. Oh yes, and the rubber (don't know what they are called) right above the Dura Ace brake levers,,,,,,, I had to modify a set I found on Ebay that looked close to origional because could not find original. The red removable Cannondale decals I found on Ebay. In the beginning, not knowing what it was, I bought the bike because of the way it rode. It was a love affair from jump street. LoL And was looking for a bike, at that time, I could eaisly carry up a flight of stairs when I lived in an apartment. I can take close up pictures if anyone is interested on this forum. I tried to list it on buycycle.com but it was like pulling teeth so I deleted off their site before it was listed. Was going to list it locally for $500 until I started doing research a few days ago and discovered I had a diamond in the rough although it is in great condition!
And yes, seat stem is Dura Ace as are wheel hubs. So here I sit, in a delimina, not knowing the value and what to do next, and suicide is out of the question. Brad Lindsay

Last edited:

IdahoBrett

I bet you have some great stories attributed to rides on your bike. I wouldn't mind reading a yarn or two....

Bradlin

I wish I had some good yarns to tell but not really. I bought the bike in 2016. In the years up to that I was into picking up bikes at garage sales, refirbishing them, riding them for a brief time, then giving them away. It was usually road bikes. The Cannondale I barely had to do anything. Few very minor touch up black paint spots, new seat, new handlebars, new pedals (since these parts were not origional), new red tires to match the black/red theme, and that was it, beside adding the water bottle and storage pouch. This was the bike I was going to ride with my fiance after I bought her a nice used bicycle. We couldn't get married because we would loose our "old people" benefits! So we rode the Tulsa bike trails for about 4 summers then covid hit. Shortly after that I was diagnosed with lung cancer. Chemo damn near killed me and I lost 45 lbs that I never got back. I am cancer free now, God willing, but I still don't have all my strength back and weighing only 106 lbs. So the Clannondale sat in the garage till now.
Now I have discovered the ways to ship a bike, including UPS, and am thinking about Ebay as I used to sell items on the site. The question is.....do I really want to fool with it. Not looking to make a cha ching bonanza off of it........just want to have it go to a good home as it is a fantastic vintage bicycle that has been preserved all these years. So, if I decide on Ebay........kind of need a value to start at.
Thats my yarn, and I really appreciate this site and its members as I have learned more about Cannondale in general, and the devotion involved.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
You have the build date right. It's a 54 cm.
The brake lever hoods haven't been available from Shimano for some time - planned obsolescence.
I'd guess that your components (assuming nice condition) might fetch $300-400 if sold individually on eBay. I've seen early road framesets sell for under $100. To get top dollar you will have to check prior sales and price your items toward the high end, then wait it out. There's a complete 1985 with DA on ebay listed for $750. Condition doesn't look very good, I don't think it will sell anywhere near that price. If it sells, you might ask the seller what he got for it. Best offer sale prices won't show on ebay.

Bikeflights is your best bet for shipping large items like frames or wheels. Slightly cheaper than UPS rates although UPS is still the carrier. You have a much better chance of getting a payment for shipping damage by going through Bikeflights.

Bradlin

Again, thanks for your reply black lightning. I realize this is a discussion site and not a buy sell site but I am looking for a way to pass this bike on to an appreciative new owner. I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to deal with Ebay and I am going to try to sell it locally first. If someone wants to give me a fair price and pay for shipping I will let it go. If interested, I can take close up pictures of anything on the bike if anyone is interested.
Think I will go ride it around the block as that is all my lungs can do.

IdahoBrett

I am truly sorry to read of your health struggles Brad. I lost a favorite Uncle a few years back that lived with that. I know it frustrated him to no end as he was an avid outdoorsman. Like you he pressed on as best he could doing what he loved. If you find joy in half a block ride and can get past the frustration of not being able to going further maybe your Cannondale can stay with you a little longer. Either way hang out here with us and “talk” about vintage Cannondales.

Bradlin

I am truly sorry to read of your health struggles Brad. I lost a favorite Uncle a few years back that lived with that. I know it frustrated him to no end as he was an avid outdoorsman. Like you he pressed on as best he could doing what he loved. If you find joy in half a block ride and can get past the frustration of not being able to going further maybe your Cannondale can stay with you a little longer. Either way hang out here with us and “talk” about vintage Cannondales.
Thank you. And after a few years of leg inactivity I can't ride it. Will let you guys know if/when I sell it as going to give it a try locally and on Craiglist with a "make an offer" and see what happens if anything. Again, thanks to this forum.

Bradlin

Again, thanks for your reply black lightning. I realize this is a discussion site and not a buy sell site but I am looking for a way to pass this bike on to an appreciative new owner. I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to deal with Ebay and I am going to try to sell it locally first. If someone wants to give me a fair price and pay for shipping I will let it go. If interested, I can take close up pictures of anything on the bike if anyone is interested.
Think I will go ride it around the block as that is all my lungs can do.
Hello all........Someone has suggested that instead of a 1986 SR1000 I might have a Black Lightning with complete Dura Ace package that has been swapped. Is there anyway to tell what I have? Maybe RODDESU who worked at Cannondale can help. I have just listed bike on Ebay and I need to know what I have as I don't want to mislead anyone. Any help would be much appreciated. Brad

Bradlin

Black Lightning would have had gold decals.
Thank you. I believe it had faded decals on top tube that might have been gold, cant remember before I put red decals over it. But am I correct in assuming blk light came out in 87? maybe 86 frame carried over or something. Anyway, I have been in touch with someone who owns 3 lightnings and a SR1000 and he leans towards the complete Dura Ace package may have been put on frame. I am still on the fence. I have lowered price on ebay and included a disclaimer stating not 100% sure it is a true SR1000 since I cant prove or disprove what it is. It just seems like why would anybody do a COMPLETE Dura Ace change, hubs, seat stem, derailuar, brakes, shift levers, Mavic wheels, all of it, for upgrade a frame. Just doesnt make sense to me, but i dont know everything. It has really become a nightmare. According to any response I might get on ebay........I might just cancel listing and sell locally to be done with it. Tired of researching with no definative answere. Frownie face. lol

black lightning 1987

Staff member
1987 was the first year but some would have been produced in 1986 as new models came out late summer, early fall. It's certainly possible that someone did a full DA build on a Black Lightning frame. The 1987 catalog states that they were no longer offering framesets, although they had sold them previously. Have a close look at the paint. Black Lightning paint has a very fine gold metallic flake, presumably in the clear coat. It shows up very clearly with a flashlight in a relatively dark room.