What model is my used Cannondale?

I am trying to identify the model of this Cannondale. The serial number is Q022328, so it's a 2005 model but that is all I know. It looks like the number 54 engraved on the bottom, so it must be a 54 cm frame even though it measures 56 from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. Here is a picture. Any additional help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• CannondaleSerialNumber.jpg
    CannondaleSerialNumber.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 192

black lightning 1987

Staff member
We can't tell much from the serial number beyond year and size. Picture of the whole bike and list of components will be the best way to start.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
On the road frames, the nominal size was from crank center to about 1" below the top of the seat tube. I checked a 60 cm 2005 CAAD7. The seat tube measures 62.5 cm to top of seat tube. I think MTBs are similar, but would have to check one to be sure.

Thanks for the information! It's confusing. I understand other companies measured form crank center to top of seat tube. And some others even give the frame size by the length of the top tube.

When I got home to take a picture of the bike, I noticed a big decal on the top tube: "R700" (I'm an idiot). So the bike is a 2005, 54 cm, R700 with Ultegra components. There is also a sticker on the fork: Si Slice Ultra. Not sure what that means.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Cannondale Picture.jpg
    Cannondale Picture.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The old standard was to measure either to the center of the top tube or the top of the top tube. Once sloping top tubes and materials other than standard diameter steel tubes came into play, new systems were developed. For example, Serotta always used a nominal size that was based on a level top tube measured center to center, even if the frame had a sloping top tube. So a "60" cm sloping top tube frame might have had a seat tube that measured 54 cm. The idea was that the frame was designed to fit like a traditionally made 60 cm frame. I think the Cannondale system was based around the same idea. A 56 cm Cannondale should fit more or less like a 56 cm traditional lugged steel frame. An argument can be made for sizing by top tube length, especially for frames with severely sloping top tubes.

The Slice Ultra was the 2nd tier fork behind the Premium. It has an aluminum steerer tube while the Premium is all carbon. R700 doesn't give up much to the upper models. CAAD7 frames are nice, weigh only 30g more than the CAAD8.

I am very happy with the bike. I bought it used a few years ago but just got to ride it regularly again for the last month. I love it. There’s no mountains around here (Florida) but there’s a nice steep bridge, so I do bridge repeats. It’s so fast!

If I were to upgrade some components to make it lighter, where do you suggest I start? I am thinking about upgrading the handle bars to carbon fiber and maybe the wheels.

Thanks so much for your help!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Wheels would give the most performance gain. Lightening non rotating parts will only be noticed with a scale, especially where it's pretty flat. My take on upgrading an already nice bike is to wait until something wears out, and upgrade there if you wish.