Vintage Decals

BikerBee

I am in the process of restoring a 1989 SR300, and I can't seem to find any of the older style decals anywhere. Does anyone have a source or will I have to special make them myself? The top tube CANNONDALE logos should be easy enough, but I'm more concerned about the smaller decals such as the train station decal on the head tube.

Attachments

• 3.0 Series.png
    3.0 Series.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 353
  • TrainStation.png
    TrainStation.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 350
  • SeatStay.png
    SeatStay.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 273

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'm not sure if Brian plans to have any more made. I know he is very busy at work right now due to the pandemic. Some of the decals you need are available at Velocals, but I don't think they have the 3.0 or stay decals. I have a set of 1987 decals that I got from Brian which included the seat tube and stay decals. Perhaps he will be getting more made at some point.

https://velocals.com/c/

BikerBee

Well, as a new member of this forum, I can say that this is super helpful. I can see this is the place that will likely save me a lot of time and money during this upcoming project. Thank you so much for the info and the link.

I'm not sure who Brian is, but hopefully he can make some classic decals at some point.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Brian is the guy that owns the site. My decals are white and were intended to go on a bike that will never be fully restored. I still have the bike but could possibly part with the stay decals. You would still be lacking the 3.0 seat tube decal.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I have been selling 83-90 decals on this site since 2007. Sadly COVID has taken out the company that produces the decals I sell. 90% of the decals you find on the internet are digital. They are not original, and they will not last in the weather. I sell silk screen vynil decals. Just like they did in the old days. I hopefully will have 87-88's for sale soon.

looks like you have a 1989. Are you looking for a full set? or just parts?

your decals look to be in great shape. Is it for a different bike? I may have a house or parts of decals if that is all that is needed.

BikerBee

The paint on the bike is pretty beat up, so my plan was to strip it down and do a complete paint job. The plan is to put on the vinyl stickers after final color coat and then clear coat over the decals as was done on the original. If I cannot find decals that have enough quality to do this, a second option would be to lay a white coat and then stencil the logos with the final coat.

The answer is yes, I am looking for the entire set. I’d love to get the seat stay decals and all. Just starting my search when I came across this site.

BikerBee

Brian is the guy that owns the site. My decals are white and were intended to go on a bike that will never be fully restored. I still have the bike but could possibly part with the stay decals. You would still be lacking the 3.0 seat tube decal.

That would be great! I think the Velocals site has what I need for the top tube and the train station for the head tube. Unfortunately the sizes are larger than the original and I’m not sure how they would fit. I plan see if they can print them a little smaller which would be perfect. It’s the correct font, just the wrong size.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
The decals I sell are exact to spec. 89/90 have different chain stay decals than 87/88. and 89/90 use different top decals than 87/88.

I should have 87/88 decals soon. 89/90 are difficult because of the flag. I am not sure when I can make these...

Again, I sell silk screen decals with real metallic unlike other sites. You can try Velo but that is your call. It is a unknown decal.

My decals were verified by Cannondale, and some of the decals are from Cannondale.

SR400 -105

mine need a refresh 87 pink cannondale on the top bar and team comp on the chain stay head decal still in good shape but having a full set would be cool

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully decals in the next few weeks for 87/88.... It is hard to get anything these days in 2020. :)

petergt4

Hopefully decals in the next few weeks for 87/88.... It is hard to get anything these days in 2020. :)

There's a guy in the UK that does really, really nice decals and was the one I got my Mountain Cycle decals from. I'm not sure what he has for Cannondale, but from what I gather, he'll also do custom and one-off work.

I've also come across a couple others, but with limited Cannondale offerings...

David Velez

I would definitely be interested in a full set of decals for my 2002 F1000 “full wood” if you get back into producing decals again Brian.