Vintage bikes dead in your area or still going?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I thought I would open a discussion. Just wondering if vintage bikes are dead in your area?

Where I live, Mountain is dead. Road is still alive. I feel my vintage mountain is getting close to just recycling the aluminum. Really sad...

Plus, where I live. Cannondale is not popular, and never has been.

I have 1 full and 5 cannondale frames up for sale locally on Facebook MP, craigslist. Online here and eBay... no interest.

What about others?

IdahoBrett

Very few vintage vs. others on my local CL. I don't FB so there are probably quite a bit more. I don't know for sure. But most used bikes get listed there. It seems what mostly resides on CL if it is older are from flippers.

The vintage mountain that does show up on CL out does road 2:1 easy.

But yes, Cannondale isn't as well represented as others here as well.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't look often enough locally to know if things are selling or not but there's a good looking mid 1980s ST500 that's been listed for 28 days at $189. Here's a $200 1996 M500 that will be interesting to watch as it's just been posted:

It wouldn't be for sale for long if it was 50 miles closer to me.

letsbike

I've been thinking about this thread all week and have been trying to formulate a response.
I ride daily in an area of high bicycle density, & I must say that I rarely see two similar bicycles (make or model) ever, vntage or otherwise. I have seen, & spoken with, a guy who rides a modern Penny Farthing. That's pretty vintage looking at least.
Technology has a way of killing vintage bicycles. I saw that with centerpull brakes. Nobody wanted them, yet it was hard to find a sidepull brake that would go around anything bigger than a 25mm tire. (Anyone remember short & long reach brakes?) That left cantilever brakes (and later V-brakes) for anyone wanting wider tires, and those required a special frame. When index shifting came along in the mid 80's nobody wanted friction shifters anymore, and with that technology being totally abandoned by bicycle manufacturers, it didn't take long at all before most people were incapable of shifting in any other way. Today I see the next big area of "advancement" being in the area of disc brakes. People will soon be afraid of rim brakes. I own bicycles with both types, and personally prefer rim brakes for quiet operation and simplicity. The only nod I would give to a disc brake is when you need to control speed in a long mountain decent, especially on a loaded heavy bike, and you fear heat build up on your rims. I have fairly expensive hydraulic disc brakes and I am always tinkering with them to rid them of rubbing noises.
So as long as you have planned obsolescence going on in the bicycle industry I fear you will have people migrating away from vintage bicycles.

letsbike

Addendum: My response above is my opinion as to why the general public doesn't look to a quality vintage bicycle over a new bicycle when deciding to make a purchase for general riding. I think that anyone who appreciates older bicycles is looking for them because they like the older technology that they possess. I also believe that sticker shock will keep older bicycles a consideration to many because they are unwilling to commit to spending large sums of money. That has always been the case. When my father bought me my first adult bike at the age of sixteen, he announced to my mother on returning home, that I wanted the most expensive bike in the shop (it wasn't). The cost was $136; a 1978 Schwinn Traveler. (A department store 10 speed, such as a Sears Free Spirit, cost around $85 at the time) If you look at the bicycles that people are actually buying they are never the most expensive products in the companies catalog. That makes me wonder how many high end bikes are actually sold, and even more importantly, where are they now? Our website is certainly not bursting at the seems with them, and we're enthusiasts! That is part of the fun. The thrill of the hunt for the elusive this or that. If you have a vintage bicycle that you want to sell, please list it.
(Disclosure: my knowledge about mountain bikes is very limited, so for all I know we might have expensive examples on our website)

Attachments

• Photo_1713308401038.jpg
    Photo_1713308401038.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 7

IdahoBrett

I too wonder @letsbike where are the high end bikes? I think you’re correct that not many were sold. No matter the brand, a high end vintage bike doesn’t turn up that often. I’ve seen one or two spots down from the top model for any given brand occasionally.

I’ve thought about it these past few months about the quantity of vintage bikes listed for sale. The city I live in isn’t tiny so I would’ve thought there would be more for sale. The reality I’m struggling with is the 1980’s were a long time ago. They are likely long gone. The trash heap, scrapped, parted out, etc.

letsbike

I came up behind a pretty well taken care of mid 90's Cannondale hybrid on my way into town this morning. I made sure to compliment the rider on his choice of bicycles. I would of asked him more, but I got the impression that English wasn't his first language. Always good to see an older Cannondale being enjoyed.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'd guess that Shimano 105 level road bikes and LX mountain bikes were traditionally among the highest volume sellers, but the higher end vintage bikes do turn up. My last bike purchase was a 1994 Trek 5500 which was the top of the line road bike at the time. It even had an upgrade wheelset, Campagnolo Ventos.
I think that owners of the high end bikes tend to hoard them. I have an internet friend in Los Vegas who has been selling a neighbor's collection of vintage bikes and last I heard he had sold $80,000 worth of bikes.

IdahoBrett

At first glance $80k strikes me as a lot of money. And a lot of bikes. Then I realize that I’m thinking my level of bikes. It would take a warehouse full to reach $80k. I’d bet (pun intended) that Vegas collector has some real nice bikes.

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I feel it is hard to sell my vintage bikes. 2020/21 was the time, and then bikes, cars etc price was destroyed. It is pretty sad I have a few perfect examples of 80's Cannondale. And are they to be recycled if nobody wants them? I posted a 2016 Lefty and it sold in 1 day. I asked the guy if he was interested in OG DLR lefty's. He said, not not interested in old stuff. haha.