Vermont here...

woof

Hello. Seaain here... (pronounced "Shane"). I live in Vermont, having just moved this past winter. We live in a nice, cycling-friendly community on Lake Champlain.

Looking forward to learning more about vintage Cannondales. I recently purchased an odd CAAD4 Saeco. It's a bit of a mismatch, but is quite different than my Super-X in that it has Campy Daytona through and through.

I will likely leave all of that intact as it is a nice homage to the team bike and it is definitely different than that to which I am accustomed.

I'll be needing some nice period wheels however, as it has a weird mix of ancient and somewhat modern Mavic... Probably stick with Campy given the group. And I'll probably ask a lot of questions, and take my time getting to know the bike, riding it and going through it. Looking forward to it.

I have spent some time with CAAD10s, and really like them. For a long ride I will probably take something a little more.... compliant. But I love the responsiveness and frankly love some of the team colors. I happen to have a black 105 group and the matching wheels if I can ever find a frame for a reasonable price. I am shocked by what people ask for them on eBay. Here in Vt., the prices for complete bikes make them a better deal than many of the frames on eBay... But there are so few people that the completes are far between. That said, I am not paying 1300 for a 2012 CAAD10 FRAME when I can get a 2017 CAAD12 105 Disk on sale for less...

I digress... Nice to be here. Look forward to learning. Thank you.

Seaain

black lightning 1987

Staff member
What are your priorities on wheels? The nice thing about Campagnolo is that they haven't changed the freehub design since 1997, so there are lots of hub and wheel options out there. If you are OK with a conventional 32 spoke wheel, the oversized axle 10-11 speed era hubs are a great choice. They were made for Daytona, Centaur, Chorus, and Record groups. They are functionally all the same but Record and Chorus had a bit nicer finish. Record was offered for a few years in 28 hole drilling but they are rare and pricey. If you want a lower spoke count wheel, there are lots of options. I like the black spoke Campagnolo Protons (the silver spoked early ones had some issues) for a good compromise of weight and price, and Fulcrums are another good option.