upgrading late 80s cannondale with 11 speed components

CAP57

Yes. I have never drilled any rivets out of these frames but my guess is that they are aluminum rivets with aluminum shanks, which should drill out pretty easily. Problem with drilling out rivets is that the drill will often want to drift off the center of the rivet into the gap between the rivet and the shank. Drilling there will result in an oval shaped hole in the frame, which may or may not be too large for a 2nd rivet to expand enough to anchor securely.
Thanks I was successfully able to locate a cheap doner frame. I drilled out the chain stay stops however it looks like this part will not work on my frame since I only have one hole on the chain stay of the frame rather than 2 as needed with this model. Have you come across different chain stay housing stops with these bikes?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Thanks I was successfully able to locate a cheap doner frame. I drilled out the chain stay stops however it looks like this part will not work on my frame since I only have one hole on the chain stay of the frame rather than 2 as needed with this model. Have you come across different chain stay housing stops with these bikes?
It's not something I have needed to research. When I looked at my 1987 frame, it had a 2 hole stop, with the holes perpendicular to the center line of the stay.

Is there enough material in the stop you removed to allow you to drill another hole to match the existing hole in the frame?