Unknown 1998 CAAD2, please help identify.

frtachi

Hi everyone! I just bought a bike in Norway that i want to service and use as a commuter. Unfortunately it's not marked with model name and I can't find the exact model in the catalogs. Maybe someone could help me with identifying this bike.

Some detail that may be useful:
Serial number: JI 21484
3598 N2GMD
CAAD2, 26", XT rear derailleur, SLX front derailleur, CODA 700 wheels, FATTY D, raiser handlebars.
Crankset and front wheel visible on the picture are not original.
Please dont look at the chain, I know its crossed.

Any help appreciated!

PXL_20240317_171153867.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

PXL_20240317_171251172.PORTRAIT~2 (1).jpg

IdahoBrett

Very nice bike! Please more pictures with the local scenery in the background! Norway is beautiful.

If you haven’t looked through the catalog links already you could try that, although there are only a few Europe catalogs. And there is not one for 1998.

JI= September 1998

1998 catalog (US)

The only one that I can tell that is close is the F900. It came in fade to blue and polar silver. Yours looks more grey.

I’m no expert, but what I have read before is frames without model number could be a replacement frame. Or someone removed the decal? I’m thinking you would see evidence for that.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It's a 1999 but the model may not be something that we can determine. The closest bike I found in the USA catalogs was the 2000 F700. It had a front disc brake and rear V brake, but it was a CAAD3 frame. Your bike is a 1999 because of the head tube decal style, and 1999 was the first year for disc brakes on the F series bikes. It may have been built up from a frameset, which may be why it doesn't have a model number.

I would get a longer chain on it. The rear derailleur is extended a bit too far in the photo.

letsbike

I think that someone just put that front wheel on without removing the brake rotor. The front shot shows no brake caliper. I would suggest finding the serial number for identification.

letsbike

Sorry, I didn't really read all that was said before. I tried searching myself, & that head tube badge tells you it can only be one of three years. I think that the original bike has been pretty well parted out. Not much to go on I'm afraid.
Tusen Takk-