Trying to narrow down the year of my F4000 frame

Mikey Z

I recently pulled my old bike out of the garage and wiped it down, changed the tubes, and aired up the fork. However it seems that so much has changed on bikes since I last rode that even rims and hubs are now different.

Anyway, I have a F4000 frame with the fatty headshock with the air spring. (not fatty SL or any other designation) The frame and fork is black to gray fade and is CAAD 4 with both the V brake mounts and disk brake mounts. 26" wheels with 3 rings in front and 9 in the rear.

I think it is around the year 2000 but I am not positive. I built the bike from scratch as I used to work at a bike shop and made $5 a pop for every bike I built. I saved up for nearly 3 months and got the frame and fork when the shop owner parted out the bike.

Bike 1551206492.jpg
Bike 142076276.jpg

MikeA

That's a nice bike, it's a '99. It may not say SL on the fork blades, but that's what an F4000 would come with, and it looks like it has the 5 position dial on the top which would confirm that.

Mikey Z

That's a nice bike, it's a '99. It may not say SL on the fork blades, but that's what an F4000 would come with, and it looks like it has the 5 position dial on the top which would confirm that.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll double check the dial when I get home but do believe that I remember there being a little ball detent in there that clicked as I turned the dial.

As so much has changed, can you tell me if newer style rear hubs will work on these frames? I know they are made to work with 27.5/29" rims, but wasn't sure if that meant they would not fit in the older frame. Guessing that the older 9 speed cassettes would not work with the new hubs though. Just thinking about popping a disk brake on the rear so that they are on front and rear instead of just the front.

I've just been away from my bike so long that I haven't kept up with anything.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I wouldn't think it should be too hard to find a disc hub for your bike. For example I have a SRAM X9 6 bolt disc hub here that's 135 mm and has the 8/9/10 freehub. You can put a 9 speed cassette on a Shimano 11 hub, just requires a thin spacer. I know that 6800 road hubs came with the spacer, assume that the MTB hubs would as well. As I recall the spacer is about 2 mm thick.

Mikey Z

I wouldn't think it should be too hard to find a disc hub for your bike. For example I have a SRAM X9 6 bolt disc hub here that's 135 mm and has the 8/9/10 freehub. You can put a 9 speed cassette on a Shimano 11 hub, just requires a thin spacer. I know that 6800 road hubs came with the spacer, assume that the MTB hubs would as well. As I recall the spacer is about 2 mm thick.

Much appreciated. Can you point me to a resource that explains the difference between the QR that I am used to and the newer 12mm through axles? I found a SRAM hub like you mention and it is showing as 135mm but it has the 12mm through axle. Will these work on our bikes, and are they easier than the QR skewers?

BTW MikeA, I did verify that I do have the multi position dial on my fork, so thanks for the year and model info. Took the bike for a quick spin when I got home from work and it rides like it never sat for 15 years. No stretched cables or anything. Other than havng to hold more weight on the seat, it was perfect.