Touring frame: inches or cm

IdahoBrett

I thought touring frames were designated in inches. I came across a 1989 ST400 that the SN is in cm. The 89 catalog specification is in inches.
IMG_0717.jpeg
IMG_0718.jpeg
IMG_0719.jpeg

Was there a change? If so what year?

IdahoBrett

Ooops! Reread serial number information.

6= drop out spacing of 126mm
25= frame size in inches
1289= built December 1989
0211= the frame built that month

So it’s a 1990 ST400

IdahoBrett

Unboxed and reassembled. I will have to learn how to adjust this style of brake system. I haven’t any clue. The front has a nice quick release lever. The rear doesn’t, so I had to loosen the pinch bolt to open up the caliper to install the rear wheel. Kind of figured out how to get tension back in the system. But not quite. Could use a third hand.
IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg

IdahoBrett

Took the ST400 for a spin around the neighborhood. Brakes need fine tuning. Shifts fine. Front wheel needs some truing and the headset is a tad loose. I suspect the seller loosened it up for shipping. I did find the jam nut loose, tightened it, but didn’t check to see if all was well. Some flaws that I failed to see in the sellers photos will have to be addressed. It’s a little on the tall side for even my long legs. I may throw this fish back in the sea….

IMG_0775.jpeg

IdahoBrett

Kind of bought a stinker. Found some bubbling paint while reassembling. It wasn’t disclosed by the seller. But I went back and looked at the photos and zooommed. Knowing where to look I can see the spots. I picked away the bubbled paint with my fingernail near the DT bottle mount boss. The corrosion isn’t deep. But it’s there. Caveat Emptor..

IMG_0804.jpeg
IMG_0806.jpeg
IMG_0802.jpeg
IMG_0807.jpeg

IdahoBrett

I pushed on the corroded down tube with a pointed awl. With a fair amount of pressure and it did not poke through. So I think the frame is ok.
IMG_0810.jpeg

IdahoBrett

Picture with corrosion/AL oxide powder right after picking off paint. Clearcoat isn’t looking healthy in that area either.
IMG_0800.jpeg

JohnnyD

Picture with corrosion/AL oxide powder right after picking off paint. Clearcoat isn’t looking healthy in that area either.
View attachment 11080

I've often wondered how well Cannondale paint would have held up if they had used zinc chromate on them , then painted. Probably much better considering the harsh weather conditions aircraft landing gear deal with. I used to always laugh that the worst thing I ever had to deal with on the landing gear painted areas was discoloration from the grease if you were lazy and didn't clean up the excess after a lube.

JohnnyD

Honestly, I think it would work brilliantly. It also happens to be my plan for repainting my Super V, assuming I get off my butt and finish sanding it! I would be done with the whole bike (again) if I could find a decent automotive paint stripper, but NO.. thanks to the EPA that is now unobtainium.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I've often wondered how well Cannondale paint would have held up if they had used zinc chromate on them , then painted. Probably much better considering the harsh weather conditions aircraft landing gear deal with. I used to always laugh that the worst thing I ever had to deal with on the landing gear painted areas was discoloration from the grease if you were lazy and didn't clean up the excess after a lube.
Some frames had zinc chromate primer. I think I've seen it on a MTB frame circa 1990 that I started to strip. The top coats come off with stripper but the primer is tough.

JohnnyD

Some frames had zinc chromate primer. I think I've seen it on a MTB frame circa 1990 that I started to strip. The top coats come off with stripper but the primer is tough.
I haven't had the chance to check any bikes earlier than my 1992, but I don't see why Cannondale wouldn't have used it prior to that. Since chromate finishes have been linked to cancer it's likely that is the reason why they stopped using them.
The way it works is similar to anodizing in that the chromate chemically bonds to the top surface layer of the metal. Which typically makes them extremely durable and highly resistant to corrosion. I don't even think you can find true zinc chromate primers anymore for consumer use. Last time I checked you can find alodine touch up on aircraftspruce.com though.

Edit: just checked you can find Bonderite (alodine) products on aircraftspruce. It is NOT cheap!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't remember the production date of the frame I started to strip but I would guess circa 1989. I guess I should be careful about sanding the primer. Thanks for the heads up.