The mysterious Cannondale Street X

Heinz

How about the Cannondale Street X folks? Unusually it is a true vintage Cannondale and possibly the first ever 'gravel bike', yet there is nothing about it in any of the catalogues. Very mysterious. Great bike from the Cannondale heyday.
Street X no1.jpg
Any ideas?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
New to me. I think I see an Optimo decal, so that would place it 2003 or newer. Most likely newer as I think only the top end road bikes in 2003 were designated Optimo. Since it's disc even more likely that it's newer. Optimo designation didn't last more than 3 years or so.

Are you in Europe? Seems like most of our hard to identify frames are there.

Heinz

Your right about the Optimo, and that it is European, but not quite the age :)
Based on the guidance from this website the serial number tells me it is 2002...
As you can see in the picture it has really nice Mavic wheels.
The trouble with not knowing more about it is that spares and paint are a mystery too. No idea what the blue is for example!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
If it was made in the last half of 2002 it would be a 2003 model. Remember that new models are introduced in late summer. I can check again, but I don't think there are any Optimo frames in the 2002 catalog.

I have a print copy of the 2004 catalog, but not the 2003. Some colors may have carried over. The blue that looks closest to your bike is called Patriot Blue. Best pic in the 2004 catalog of Patriot Blue is probably the T800 touring bike. I'll have a look at the 2003 catalog scan and see if another blue looks closer.

I believe what you have is essentially a 2003 Street Headshok, with different color and name for the European market. Streets were only sold in the USA in 2002 and 2003, but there was no Headshok version in 2002. That combined with the Optimo frame seems to place it firmly as a 2003 model.

Color could be Team Blue or Denim Blue, though TB looks too light and DB looks too dark. I guess it's possible that Cannondale painted in other colors for Europe that don't show in the catalog.

Last edited: