Super V

David Velez

Does anyone have a good way to strip paint? I will be going to my powder coater to ask his opinion on how to strip the super v

JohnnyD

Sadly, there is no easy way to remove paint at home.Due to environmental concerns the chemical strippers of the past that really worked are impossible for the DIYer to find. So that leave good old fashioned mechanical means..ie sanding or media blasting. I prefer the personal sanding method, that way I know if I screw it up then I alone am to blame. Remember, that 6061 aluminium is very soft and can be damaged easily by overly aggressive sanding. I start with a lowest grit of 120 and work my way up to 400 while wet sanding. It's messy and takes time, especially around the tight corners of the frame and welds.

Another method is by media blasting, I do not mean sand blasting but using a material that is just a bit harder than the paint. Like pecan shells. IF you powder coater has experience and the equipment to strip 6061 aluminium by using pecan shells then that would be the fastest way. I would ask them if they can and do use pecan shells. Some shops will charge you extra to do so. It requires them to empty their blasting equipment and clean out any residue of other harsher media used prior, plus purchase the pecan shells if they haven't already got them as well as prepping and taping off the areas of the frame you do not want to blast ( like frame pivot points, removing/taping off frame bearings, and of course the bottom bracket threads) It will cost $$$. My local powder coater wanted $200 to do it when shown the frame and asked.

David Velez

Sadly, there is no easy way to remove paint at home.Due to environmental concerns the chemical strippers of the past that really worked are impossible for the DIYer to find. So that leave good old fashioned mechanical means..ie sanding or media blasting. I prefer the personal sanding method, that way I know if I screw it up then I alone am to blame. Remember, that 6061 aluminium is very soft and can be damaged easily by overly aggressive sanding. I start with a lowest grit of 120 and work my way up to 400 while wet sanding. It's messy and takes time, especially around the tight corners of the frame and welds.

Another method is by media blasting, I do not mean sand blasting but using a material that is just a bit harder than the paint. Like pecan shells. IF you powder coater has experience and the equipment to strip 6061 aluminium by using pecan shells then that would be the fastest way. I would ask them if they can and do use pecan shells. Some shops will charge you extra to do so. It requires them to empty their blasting equipment and clean out any residue of other harsher media used prior, plus purchase the pecan shells if they haven't already got them as well as prepping and taping off the areas of the frame you do not want to blast ( like frame pivot points, removing/taping off frame bearings, and of course the bottom bracket threads) It will cost $$$. My local powder coater wanted $200 to do it when shown the frame and asked.
Thank you again, I will bring it to my powder coating guy and see what he says

MikeA

The other problem with someone blasting Cannondale aluminum tubing is that they are butted and paper thin in some sections to save weight.

JohnnyD

The other problem with someone blasting Cannondale aluminum tubing is that they are butted and paper thin in some sections to save weight.
Using pecan shells that wouldn't be much of an issue as they are softer than aluminium but have just enough "tooth" to remove paint. However, I am not a very trusting person when it comes to allowing others to perform a job like media blasting and I don't have the equipment to do it myself...so I rely on good old 3M!

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Most metal guys will have a way of stripping the paint if they know its aluminum. I have even seen ice blasting. Also, good old fashion airplane paint stripper always works. Airplanes are usually aluminum. :)

Also, I just posted on your V question, about the bonded rear. Hate to rain down. But the bonded is a death trap. It can crack as well as the bond seperating.

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Most metal guys will have a way of stripping the paint if they know its aluminum. I have even seen ice blasting. Also, good old fashion airplane paint stripper always works. Airplanes are usually aluminum. :)
I've only read about dry ice blasting. I'd be curious to see it done. Also I don't think soda blasting would work well either. As you know the paint Cannondale used is very very stubborn.

David Velez

so I found a place near me that does dry ice blasting, I am going to bring the bike there sometime soon to see if it something they can do that will not damage the frame. The aircraft strippers are not sold here locally anymore

bluegill

I had a set of 5 aluminum wheels for my truck chemical stripped last year at the wheel guy’s shop, then powder coated. I’m sure they could easily dip a bike frame too.