Super Fatty Ultra DLR80

Hello,
I have a Bad Boy with a Super Fatty Ultra DLR80 from 2005/2006.
There is a Red damper cartridge (with a 2005 sticker on it) and a red knob on the top.
Since a few month, the rebound and lockout buttons were out of order with an oil leakage. I tried to add air at the bottom, but without effect.
I bought some tools and replacement pieces (castle tool, park tool SP-1 & 2, freewheel tool, 5W oil, Seal Kit KH022,...) and after long hours on youtube and different websites, I disassembled the fork and the cartridge.
But after the complete "service" it is worse... :( there is no more damping and rebund.
I had a doubt on the shims/slotted holes order and position during the rebuild and I imagine it could be the reason...
For a few days, I tried to find some pictures or some tutorial on the shim stack of the damper, but I didn't find anything with such a details.
Could you please help me before I try to fix it?
Thank you in advance and sorry for my English if it is not clear...
Julien

Wish I could help, but if it was fully disassembled, and reassembled in the same order, with no damaged or cracked components noted and replaced, then at that point, I'd have to see it personally, as guess work rarely turns up solid results.

Thank you.
I will try to disassemble it again this week-end and take some pictures, specially on these shims.
I'll be back :D

Some news: it works :cool:
I think it was effectively the shims.
I spent lots of hours to find the correct arrangement, but without success, so I decided to try by myself.
And here are some pictures for next newbies who will try to repair the fatty wiithout any pictures of the proces... :D
The flat washer is in contact with the red "piston" and the convex washer under it.
And I add also the different Manual of the fatty I found.
I hope it will help somebody.
Thank you for your support.

IMG_20211003_180731922.jpg
IMG_20211003_180743197.jpg
IMG_20211003_180916080.jpg

Attachments

• Cannondale Fatty Ultra DLR.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 612
  • Cannondale - dl-dlr-air-cylinder-repair-technote.pdf
    835.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Cannondale Fatty Ultra DLR - Supplement.pdf
    497.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Cannondale - Shims.png
    Cannondale - Shims.png
    1 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It sounds like you have been successful.

Thanks for posting those documents. Did you find them on the current Cannondale website?

Perhaps Craig (MendonCycleSmith) can explain the shimming process, but I know he is busy and doesn't check in here daily.

No, not on the Cannondale website.

For the Air Cylinder Repair, HERE.
For the others PDF, I don't remember I have them since a few years.
For the shims, it is from MTBR.com forum but didn't note the post.
And this PAGE gives also instructive information, and the guy answered me in english. :cool:

MikeA

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I think you still have the lockout shim assembled wrong (the slotted shims). The concave side of the lower shim should be facing the flat shim. Here is a slightly different DLR80 showing the correct order of assembly:
dlr80.jpg

Also, It looks like your negative spring is broken or bent? be careful it doesn't scratch the air cylinder.