Super Fatty Ultra DL80 Compatible Replacement

BethZ

Hi. I am thinking of upgrading the fork on my 2008 F4 hard tail mountain bike and I am looking for guidance on what forks are out there that would be compatible with my bike. The bike is a 26" with 2.2 inch tires, 3 X 9 speed, quick release wheels, hydraulic disc brakes. Not sure what else to consider.

Thanks!
Beth

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Is there something wrong with your original fork? If so, you could check with Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith about rebuilding it. If you are specifically looking to upgrade, a Lefty would be the logical option. Craig would be the guy to talk to about that as well.

BethZ

• Thanks! I did reach out via their site. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the fork, just want something smoother.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Do you mean that you want it to be "softer" in the front? I'm pretty sure your fork has an air spring, perhaps the pressure could be adjusted. Craig will know.

MikeA

That's what I was going to suggest, you can't beat the plush ride of a headshok that is adjusted properly. I run my forks with a pressure much lower than than the factory recommendations without bottoming out, and I ride rough rocky New England trails.

MikeA

Here's the owner's manual for the DL80 that should be on a 2008. However, many of them were repaired with an air cylinder kit or cartridge replacement. If so, the schrader valve cap will be blue, and the pressures in the Tech Note should be used rather than the owners manual.

Attachments

• 2005_headshok_super_fatty_ultra_dlr_dl_owners_manual_supplement_en.pdf
    524.9 KB · Views: 232
  • 2007_headshok_dl_dlr_air_cylinder_repair_technote_en.pdf
    835.8 KB · Views: 181