SRAM vs. Shimano

kjop

Since i've rebuild the CAAD5 some years ago i was always thinking about to change from SHIMANO's R3000-groupset over to SRAM.

IMG0002.jpg

coz SRAM somehow fits in my opinion way better to the Cannondale roadbikes... with all it's other components by VISION & FSA from the US.
shimano's R3000 groupset is from 2016 and i was thinking to change/upgrade the groupset something similar to ULTEGRA R8000. would be nice. have an eye on some offers at 'kleinanzeigen' about SRAM Force22 with it's 2x11 gearing...

Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-01-29 12-23-14.png

Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-01-29 12-22-03.png

but... i have no clue about the differences. have never used SRAM components. does it feels so different to shimano? SRAM is pretty hyped nowadays and it's components are a little bit more expensive. even used.

is it just a hype or is SRAM really more nice to ride? :)

maybe someone is using SRAM stuff on a roadbike and can tell something about the differences.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have used 10 speed SRAM on a few bikes. The main difference for me is the SRAM double tap shifter. There is a single shift paddle that controls derailleur movement in both directions. A light tap shifts to the next smaller cog, a stronger push shifts to a larger cog. I haven't used any of the electronic groups.

Nico

A couple of years ago I had a SuperX with SRAM force.
By that time I had been riding Shimano sti for at least 25 years and still had bikes with Shimano sti.

After a few trial weeks I decided to sell the SRAM Force shifters and derailleurs and fit Shimano to the bike.
It was the double tap that I could not get used to, it felt quite counter intuitive.

kjop

that thing with the double tap i didn't knew.

maybe it's similar as with windows vs linux...? xD after years with windows on first computers i'm since several years already on linux. it's also quite different to windows and it's usability feels also in some points not so intuitive like windows, but is way more reduced to the necessary. so usually i've in that point no issue with doing things the other way^^

when you push the shimano sti, you can go easily 2-3 cogs up or down when pressing deeper with just one push. that isn't possible with the double tap? you can only go up and down 1 cog by hitting the lever one time?

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I can't remember for sure but I think you can move two or three cogs when shifting to a larger cog in the rear. When shifting to smaller cogs you have to tap once for each cog.

Nico

I also think it is 3 up or 1 down.

The other advantage of Shimano.
I sometimes brake and shift at the same time.
Not really important, I don;t do racing, but it is nice it is possible,

FPrue1304

In the 11 sp world Shimano and SRAM are largely interchangeable, same freehub body, etc, if that helps. You will likely need to replace the bottom bracket but there are two or three variants on the SRAM side, with 24, 30 or 29 mm spindles. Nothing that would not work with a BB86 bottom bracket.

I have never consciously braked and shifted simultaneously but I would be surprised if that small lever for shifting would be blocked if you pull the brake lever on SRAM. I like the carbon levers on the Force (or Red) these do not get so cold to the touch. And the carbon cranks look quite nice. With the 3 or 8 bolt mounts you can pretty much attach any chainwheel in your imagination.

If you manage to find a used Red 22 you would have on of the very lightest group sets out there. Again you can freely interchange Red 22 and Force 22 parts.