Spin-off SM400 (1990)

FPrue1304

In my other project I found a 18 inch frame what ultimately left me with my 20 inch 3.0 frame as a surplus.

The frame saw extensive mountain-bike use in the 90ies and never let me down. However it was badly bruised and I was planning to restore it and build a gravel bike. That is now happening with the 18 inch frame which will be combined with the Pepperoni fork.

IMG_9006.jpeg
IMG_9191.jpeg

Last edited:

FPrue1304

In particular chain sucks bruised the chain stay behind the chain wheel. But nothing broken, bent or cracked.

IMG_9322.jpeg

FPrue1304

So I decided to practice my paint skills on the 20 in frame and opened a spin off project. Had the frame sandblasted (as a freebie with the other, red one which was powder coated) and tried to rebuild a smooth surface with epoxy resin and filler. A painstakingly slow job, never again... The 2nd picture shows how the resin nicely covers the scratches and hopefully supports/protects the frame. Then the primer came on.

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

Last edited:

FPrue1304

Finally painted the frame with base layer (matte) and I think the clear coat will smoothen out the very last imperfections - this should actually look quite nice. Before I will add some fun decals (not historically correct) and think of what I am going to do with this frame.

The bottom bracket threads are freshly reworked with a special tool.

IMG_2338.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg

Last edited:

FPrue1304

Oh - and a base coated 20 in 3.0 frame weights 1.65 kg (the "3.0" applies to small sizes I assume) and a steel fork 0.9 kg. The fork is ridiculous, but the frame is only 400 gr more than a CAAD9 in 52! With all the road spec dimensions (130 dropout, BSA BB, 27.2 seat post, etc) and this funny, long geometry with low stack (close to a tt bike, saddle much higher than handlebar with a road stem) this is a really interesting frame.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would probably go through the parts on hand and see what fit the vintage of the frame. In my case that would probably result in mid to upper range SunTour circa 1990.