Serial number beginning with 18?

wolfencopter

Greetings! I have owned what I believe is a 1986 SM700 since around 1999.I was told it was an x-racing bike and I've just kept it around for casual riding. I've done general maint to it and just love looking at it! But now I want to know more! :)

I'll post pictures later (It has many "upgrades in terms of brakes, crank, etc...)

The serial number is listed as 18082786079 from a picture that I have with me and I don't see a leading number, so going through the forum posts I'm confused as to what this bike actually is?

Thanks in advance!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Welcome. Hard to tell much about the model without pictures but it's an 18" frame made on August 27, 1986. It was the 79th frame made that day. I'm guessing it's probably a 1989 model. Paint and any original parts will help with ID.

wolfencopter

Thank you for your response! Here is a google photos album that I took today. I just thought it was odd that the serial number didn't seem to follow any of the guides. I was told that the bike was raced in the late 80's so I assume some of the components are not stock. I changed the brake levers (don't recall why), I still have the seat that it came with and I also put these cheap road tires on it... https://photos.app.goo.gl/SRe8rp51HSN1Ku4S7

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The only blue frame that (may have) had white decals I see in the 1988-9 catalogs is the 1989 SM400: "Mystic Blue" but not pictured. The only other possibility is the "Blueberry" 1988 SM 500, but it appears that the decals were light yellow or at least not white. It could be that someone bought the most inexpensive bike in the line with the intention of upgrading the build. One odd thing about your bike is the front U brake. I don't see a front U brake on any bike in either year. Not sure if Cannondale sold MTB framesets in that era but perhaps someone ordered one with a U brake fork. 1989 was the first year for 7 speed XT. Someone may have had the 6 speed parts on hand or got a great deal when they were closed out. XT is pretty nice stuff either way. I'd probably try to find a nice pair of vintage brake levers and a front rim to match the rear. Looks like it might be an Araya. Shouldn't be too hard to find one that matches.