• c-dale forks top.jpg
    c-dale forks top.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 221
  • c-dale forks side.jpg
    c-dale forks side.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 166

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Link didn't work for me. Are you saying that you need everything except the parts shown in the attached photos? Craig at Mendoncyclesmith is the guy you need to talk to. He may or may not respond here.

Sorry for the late pop in, but yeah, you're gonna have a hell of a time finding just the damper shaft assembly for that puppy. Sadly, that's old enough, I doubt it's worth the hassle of seeking, unless you get really lucky. Those dampers were SO unique to each model, and models changed so fast, hens teeth are more common.

I'd suggest punting and finding a more modern, say, late 90's early 2000's fork. More robust, better damper, more travel, more serviceable....

Zachariah

7E66465B-76BE-46A6-852E-04655F391C0C.jpeg
Men
Sorry for the late pop in, but yeah, you're gonna have a hell of a time finding just the damper shaft assembly for that puppy. Sadly, that's old enough, I doubt it's worth the hassle of seeking, unless you get really lucky. Those dampers were SO unique to each model, and models changed so fast, hens teeth are more common.

I'd suggest punting and finding a more modern, say, late 90's early 2000's fork. More robust, better damper, more travel, more serviceable....
Mendon, this 1998 Fatty SL is missing the damper adjustment shaft. Does your service replace what was missing?

Mendon, this 1998 Fatty SL is missing the damper adjustment shaft. Does your service replace what was missing?

Got more pics? Does it have the damper in there at all?

My services won't automatically replace that stuff, as it's rare at this point. There's also a lot of slight variations on them over the years, so until I have something in my hands, it's tough to say yes or no for sure.

Zachariah

Got more pics? Does it have the damper in there at all?

My services won't automatically replace that stuff, as it's rare at this point. There's also a lot of slight variations on them over the years, so until I have something in my hands, it's tough to say yes or no for sure.
It holds 150psi air, for about a day. After that, there is roughly 15psi remaining. The damper shaft is completely gone.

Last edited:
Can you remove the top cap (smiley face looking thing at the top of the fork) and post a pic of what is visible inside?

It can't be "completely gone" as the air piston is attached to the lower end of the damper shaft, and if it's holding air, well, damper shaft is still there, if only in part.

Honestly not likely something that can be solved long distance. I'll be here if you want to send it in.

Zachariah

Can you remove the top cap (smiley face looking thing at the top of the fork) and post a pic of what is visible inside?

It can't be "completely gone" as the air piston is attached to the lower end of the damper shaft, and if it's holding air, well, damper shaft is still there, if only in part.

Honestly not likely something that can be solved long distance. I'll be here if you want to send it in.

I did unscrew the top cap off and the damper shaft and it appears intact. The missing part is the preload tuning shaft that is connected to the black upper dial.