SAECO Cannondale Slice CAAD Optimo Timetrial

kjop

sliceoptimosaeco.jpeg

found this interesting SAECO Timetrial on kleinanzeigen.

anyone has some infos about it? never seen such a SAECO-timetrial frame before. the owner mentioned in that offer, that he hasn't found it on any of the old catalogs.

CANNONDALE OPTIMO is the CAAD7 frameset, right? which year was it?

Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-04-08 08-48-41.png

black lightning 1987

Staff member
My guess would be 2004. I wonder if that could be a real team frameset with more recent components. The team rode with Campagnolo components that year I believe. The higher end production time trial bikes all had sort of odd graphic paint schemes that year - at least the ones shown in the USA catalog. I don't think that the time trial frames got the Optimo designation - only the road frames. But they may have used Optimo on the team frames to promote the road frames.
Screenshot (346).png

kjop

interesting – thanks! the owner has rebuild it with newer sram- & 3t-components. no campa stuff anymore. so the bike at all isn't original anymore. i knew some of the ironman triathlon bikes. but have never seen them in this saeco paint sceme.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It would be interesting to view old tour footage of the team and individual time trials and see what details you could see of the time trial bikes. My guess is that they would have had more sponsor decals than the one you posted has.