Saddle Position with the forward Seat Tube?

Should you ride a Cannondale Race bike in a more forward over the pedals position?

• Yes. That is the design.

• No. Slide the saddle back or get a seat post with more setback.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Classtime

I'm hoping somebody here has some good info or at least some good ideas.

I've been putting a bunch of miles on my stock '86 SR800 and fine-tuning my fit along the way. In trying to get my saddle in the same place as my other race bikes with similar 73 degree ST angles, I run into the problem (for me anyway) of dealing with the forward placement of the ST on the SR800. The Superbe seat post has a pretty normal setback and I'm wondering why the Cannondale people didn't specify a seat post with more setback to compensate for the forward ST. My crude measuring devices put my saddle 1.5cm forward if I mount it normally (for me) in the center of the rails compared to my other bikes due to the Cannondale ST placement.

My idea is that a Cannondale Race Bike is "intended" to be ridden with a more forward over the pedals position. What do you think?

kjop

when i was gambling with the position i always came to the conclusion, that the more you make a science out of it, the more worst get the problems.

to me, each bike and model is different. and also the position on it. each model has 'it's' position to ride it. when you want to ride a time-trial-position on a mtb, the mtb will feel uncomfortable. just metaphoric, over the top. i don't try to get the same position on each bike. every bike has another sweet spot, if you will.

find a comfortable position and ride it. the body with it's fitness will adapt smaller issues anyway when riding the bike over a longer periode. and it also depends on your level of fitness how 'racy' you can ride a bike. my guess, it's nearly undoable to have the exact same position on every bike, that also feels comfortable on each one.

when you want to ride in a specific position, try to find that bike with a fitting geometry for it. to try to fit the bike absolutely to a position with extreme components for what it isn't made for... feels wrong

but yes, cannondale has delivered the CAAD5 R500 and CAAD3 R400 in my case with sb2 and i felt way more comfortable with sb0. but maybe, coz the frames were to long for me in size 54 and 56. with 180cm for me would fit best 52 or even 50 and 120mm stem with sb0 seat post. in 50 maybe even 130... 140mm... but then you get pretty deep and way before the hub. sure you have more control on the front wheel with shorter top tube and longer stems and you're more aero and you can ride the bike more agressive... but you also need the fitness and body adaption to ride that very racy position. and mybe it's not comfortable enough anymore.
:)

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I don't know what happened to my original reply. The early Cannondales did have a steeper than usual seat tube angle in the smaller sizes. I don't know what the theory was for that. 58 cm and larger frames were more in line with the geometry of other manufacturers.

What size is your frame?

Classtime

Sorry that I just saw this. My frame is a 58. And yes angles are similar to my other race bikes but since the Cannondale seat tube meets the BB forward of its center, it effectively moves the saddle forward without a steeper ST angle.

Since my original post above, I have put my saddle on the middle if it’s rails (more forward) and lengthened the stem a bit and It feels good. It feels so good that I hope the guy who is coming to buy it on Saturday decides not to. I was about to delete my add when he replied with a request to see it☹️

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I guess that I'm not very sensitive to fore/aft saddle position. My first quality road bike was a 1987 SR600 but have owned dozens from other brands since. I don't often ride the 80s frames these days but really never noticed the saddle being more forward on them.