Road seatpost and front mech clamps

sjb

I'm looking for a couple of small original cannondale parts for my R900. One is the seat clamp and the other is the front mech mount. Exact items I'm after are in the 2 pics. Black preferred but can strip and re-anodise other colours. Cheers.

OdT7vDH.jpg

9wsiYMO.jpg

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I believe that seat collar was used for a number of years on 2.8 and some MTB frames starting in 1992. There's a chance I have one on a couple of different bikes. I don't mind using a replacement as the bikes aren't stock anyway. I can't see the derailleur mount clearly. My 1992 R1000 has a black steel mount that bolts to two riv-nuts, same as the older 3.0 frames used. A later 2.8 frame that I have here used a clamp on front derailleur. What model front derailleur are you planning to use?

sjb

That sounds about right regarding the seatpost clamp, the edges are 'square' and there is a allen head on both sides as opposed to one bolt headed allen passing through if that makes sense.

The front meach clamp is a simple affair, here's a better photo. I'm using a 7403 DA front mech.
atOVin1.jpg

I have generic modern clamps fitted right now and are quite ose as it happens but would just like the correct parts to satisfy my my mild OCD in these 2 matters

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I didn't check both sides of my R1000 clamp, but that one's not up for grabs anyway. Will try to check the other two frames later tonight.

Do you think that the clamp was a Cannondale part? It appears that the 7403 was only made with a 28.6 clamp, which seems odd as 31.8 could be shimmed to fit both sizes. I would probably go with the Shimano clamp adapter of the period, which is this one I think:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Du...436920?hash=item2630f9d638:g:2J4AAOSwMLtd3Fb3

There is also a modern black Shimano clamp, part number SM-AD91MS.

Another option would be to use a 31.8 clamp 7700 derailleur, which I'm sure could be easily found. Probably goes against your OCD tendency though.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Both 2.8 frames have the original seat collar, but neither is pristine. One was evidently worn (filed?) down on the upper back side. The other has a bit of damage to the sharp edge at the front top, guessing shop wear or shipping damage. Pictures were taken with flash which highlighted every bit of dust. Neither looks this rough in natural light. Interesting to note that one has a Sugino bolt, the other does not. Will have to check my R1000 to see what it has.
2.8 seatpost clamp 2.jpg
2.8 seatpost clamp.jpg