Ride Quality 23" 1988 Cannondale ST700

specialmonkey

I just got an 88 ST700 and am enjoying it, but find I'm a bit achy after riding. I'm trying to adjust the fit (seat, bars, stem, etc.), and go lower with tire pressure, and am considering wider tires. My bike has the original 27" Sun Mistral rims. I'm running 27x1 1/8 Continental Super Sports at 90 psi rear and 70 psi front, these aren't the supplest tires out there, the bike also has a steel fork. Is this somewhat harsh ride to be expected? Might there be an issue with my frame? What else might I do to make it more comfortable? I'm about 5'10" and the bike is 23". I have only ever ridden steel.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think most guys with an opinion would say that a steel fork will give the best ride. The Cannondale is definitely going to be stiffer than a steel frame, especially compared to the steel that was common in the 80s, such as 531 with a 1" top tube. The stock Tange fork is probably fairly stout, being designed for loaded touring. A custom builder might come up with something with better ride, but you will probably have to pay close to what you have in the bike to get one made.

I think you are on the right track with tires. Unfortunately there's not a lot of high end wide 27" options. I'd say the best choice for you is probably 1 1/4" Panaracer Paselas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panaracer-...1aos0H:sc:USPSPriority!61345!US!-1:rk:13:pf:0

You could try any of the various Kenda, CST, Club Roost, etc. 27" x 1 3/8" tires. My guess is that they will all give up some of the Pasela's suppleness in trade for the extra width. I would guess that the Pasela is the highest quality 27" tire currently made.

You could switch to 700c wheels for more tire options. Your frame has caliper brakes, which may limit maximum tire size a bit compared to cantilever brakes. I can try to figure out the biggest tire which will fit - given some time. I have the same Shimano 600 calipers on one of my Cannondale touring frames.

jburnha

Hey SpecialMonkey, I agree with BL1987 above about the wheelset -- its a bit expensive of a swap but it adds a lot of flexibility. For example, on my '87 ST400 I have a nice set of 700cc wheels, run conti 4season 28s (have had 32s before), and have long reach brakes. But to your specific observation: I find the ST400 rides harsh when she is unloaded (very stiff!), however, when you load her up with panniers on the rear (and/or front) and with a little extra weight she feels much better, almost like a steel frame. Perhaps this is by design..? Goodluck and happy riding!

specialmonkey

Thanks to you both for the info ... interesting that the bike feels less harsh when loaded, I'll keep that in mind. When I bought it used, it had some very cheap Chinese 27 x 1 3/8" tires. I found these (by Panaracer):

http://www.swifttire.com/product/sand-canyon-27-x-1-38-folding-tan/

also 27 x 1 3/8" and should be more comfy then the Continental Super Sports (most anything would be, but the Super Sports are very tough and puncture resistant).

Hopefully the Sand Canyons will fit, the cheaper Chinese 27 x 1 3/8" tires did (with not much room to spare).

I really like the look and quality of the Shimano 600 components on this bike, especially the calipers.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Glad to know there's another quality 27" tire option. Hope they fit.

Agree about the 600 parts. I have them on a couple of bikes and always thought they looked nicer than the tricolor stuff that came after them.