Prophet 12mm thruaxle swingarm

Do memories of Missy Giove embody MTB's early radness and spirit

• Hell yea

• Not for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

MC01

Hi dalers,

Cracked my trusty prophet on the swingarm. Got it welded but Im on the hunt for an unrepaired / perhaps upgrade to 12mm thruaxle. I will consider frame or even complete too... in that vein:

• where to look for 12mm thruaxle swingarm and associated?
  • how to identify the 12mm thruaxle swingarm/frames, MX 4X andor?
  • can a regular prophet/rush swingarm be converted to 12mm thruaxle? How?
  • is it actually that much better, ie does it solve the classic cannondale creakiness?

Thankyou

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Hello MC01.

1.) All rear prophet swings will probably be located on ebay, or sites like that. Remember the newest prophet is 11 years old.
2.) The only way you can tell is the drop outs. Photo is attached from the web, (Thru 12)
3.) No, this would be replacing the drop outs. Something I would no recommend.
4.) I own a 2005 Prophet. Remember, these are older single pivot swing arms. You do not see this on modern bikes.

In my opinion, I would find a standard rear swing, replace the bearings. and convert it to 27.5.... and ride it.

If you find a Thru 12 rear swing, it will probably be attached to the rest of the frame. They are not very common.
Img0199.jpg

MC01

Thanks Brian. Is that a 24" rim on that pic?

Yes Ive had 27.5 for 4 or more years, also again when I built my sons prophet a few years ago put 27.5 plus a fox 32 (he can wheelie barspin). We really like the bikes as you can see in the video link i posted to rokwiz's hi from australia.

As per that post, My repaired swingarm has me out n about riding so Ive got some time to see if a 12mm thru frameset comes up, and of course hope that a few of your crew can keep an eye out and let me know of anything too. Thankyou.

Also as per previous, Ive always loved KISS keepitstraight&simple theory and motoX. The biggest travesty in MTB was roadbikings crappy influence. So single pivot suits me best, as does double crown upside down fork (my lefty max).

And all motoX style stuff appeals. I did like the 29front w 27.5rear emtb combo I rode in Italy last year too! anyone here riding that setup?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
The rim in that photo looks like a 26". stock Mavic rim.

I feel the prophet rides very well, if not better as a 27.5". I swapped the lefty for a 2013 Fox talas in 2013, because the lefty needed a rebuild. (they all do)

I do have a question for you. Can you post a picture of the damage to your rear swing? I have not heard much about these rear swings breaking. The Super V bonded ones are famous for breaking. I have 2 broken ones...

:)

MC01

Thanks Brian, just about to sit down watch another marvel movie with the kids (so many of them!!) no time to hunt up the pics of the break... but no matter because... Broke some spokes on a muddy as hell ride, the DH tire rubbed on the swingarm and wore right through it ie a clean rub hole spanned entire inside of main beam. Of course the rest of the beam fractured the next big hit.

Cant fault the prophets design and build. Mines been to hell and back hundred times over.

Cant fault the old lefty Max either, it had the internals upgraded to cartridge air ages ago and never missed a beat since. Ive ridden the fox 36's and didnt like them as much. Maybe its the exposed slider but foxes were twice the stiction, half the precision. Hmm lets see now, Lefty max faultless performance last 10 years just 2 services (new internals and boot), compared to my mates going through countless services and even entire forks... plus saw my mate crak his single crown completely in half... could have killed him!!

It was about then he stopped paying out so much on my lefty.

Ive always ridden with a fatter front than rear tire, and more often than not in the slacker lower swingarm position. Running a slightly shorter travel 29r lefty would keep geometry as is (apart from front travel). Im interested to try it on my prophet (keeping 27.5 rear), anyone here want to lend me their 29r lefty2.0? just joking about the lend, but am curious if anyones riding such a rig??

and still curious to hear an actual ride comparison of 12mm thru too...

thankyou

Last edited:

MC01

The rim in that photo looks like a 26". stock Mavic rim.

I feel the prophet rides very well, if not better as a 27.5". I swapped the lefty for a 2013 Fox talas in 2013, because the lefty needed a rebuild. (they all do)

I do have a question for you. Can you post a picture of the damage to your rear swing? I have not heard much about these rear swings breaking. The Super V bonded ones are famous for breaking. I have 2 broken ones...

:)
Hi Brian and crew, heres the tire rubthrough that resulted in the breakage of my dear old prophets swingarm..

Attachments

• IMG_5683.JPG
    IMG_5683.JPG
    869 KB · Views: 427

MC01

Hi Brian and crew, heres the tire rubthrough that resulted in the breakage of my dear old prophets swingarm..
Out of curiosity which of the superV was the bonded that you mentioned, was it this triangular one?
$_86.JPG

or the semi beam style one like this
3018093-large.jpg

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
The lower black 2000 V. I have the same frame. A friend of my rode it and it cracked the rear. Somebody else gave me another bonded rear, and the rear drop outs are coming unglued/separating.

I cant believe your prophet rear swing. Did you notice the rub? Do used Prophets pop up for sale in Australia much?

MC01

Thanks Brian,

Right, so the bottom black beam style arm is not as good a bet as the others. Glad to know if and when I ever do get a Super V for the family c'dale collection. I am curious, is there a weight or ride quality difference between the different Super V arms ? As well as those 2 kinds I think theres others Ive seen that looked a lot chunkier....

Thing is though that it would have to have hydraulic disc brakes.

My poor prophet, it was so muddy and fullon gravity goat trak, buckled broken wheel, recipe for disaster. Now I know better... Ive seen a few complete bikes online the last few months, no 12mm thru from what I could see... I may have to bite the bullet and go with standard.

btw you mention new bearings, is there a BEST bearing to go with?

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
When you are ready to do the bearings, I would go with these:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKCAN1.html

and I have also used these:

https://www.endurobearings.com/products/suspension/

Prophet bearing: KB61902

https://vintagecannondale.com/info/rearswingarm/

As for the V. They all ride good. Just different. Vintage V vs newer vintage V vs uber V.

I have had 4 V's (94,98,99 uber and a 2k), a 03 Jekyll and 2 prophets. I like them all, and they are all different.

I feel every MTB Cannondale guy should at least own a V at one point..

MC01

Hi Guys, hope everyones well. I picked up a prophet S complete here a while back, actually very nice condition and so until I have a drama with my repaired swingarm I have not taken the S apart for parts yet, instead its earmarked for family. I am still on the hunt for a 12mm swingarm/frame or just a good standard swingarm spare, if any of you see...

MC01

Long time between drinks. Still stoked to shred on my old prophet but meanwhile have reworked wifes old 700 with 700c wheels (brilliant) building a S prophet for my youngest, Searching for a MX swingarm and also a M size prophet frame, next 79r'ing my prophet, and maybe uber V the SL. So seeking some prophet parts and selling/swapping some super V stuff. Put a post in for sale section.. Anyone able to help? Thankyou MC

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Would like to help but don't have anything to offer at present. Will keep an eye out. Interested to see your wife's bike with the 700C wheels and your comments about it.