POLL: to vintage or not.

vintage rides, restore or modern

• I restore vintage only.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rickpaulos

Len, 2 of your 3 photos are just stunning. But what's with the piano? Get that bike out for another great shot. Maybe in front of Mt Rushmore....

Len

Len, 2 of your 3 photos are just stunning. But what's with the piano? Get that bike out for another great shot. Maybe in front of Mt Rushmore....

Haha! Yeah, I need to once the snow melts... I took that pic right after I brought it home. Right now it's sitting on the shelf above my kitchen with a couple of my other bikes.
IMG_20200213_190309_01.jpg

MEENI

Been collecting Cannondale and Gazelle for the last 20 jrs.
I love the 90,s stuf from cannondale end the goldline series from Gazelle (90,s) as well.
New bicicles don,t do much for me, i love patina and a good story
I live in the east of the Netherlands close to the Cannondale factory in Oldenzaal. SO there is al lot of potential in the area :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 180
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,009 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 167

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Welcome. I really like the Ice Fade paint on the R900 Si. There was a tandem that year with the same colors. That was just one of several nice fades that Cannondale did in that era. Seems I always find bikes with blah paint like silver or white. Is the orange frameset a mountain bike or an XR800? Tell me about the Batavus. I used to look for them because they tend to have shorter top tubes. I never did find one and haven't looked lately. Let me know if you'd like to put a silver rear derailleur on the R900. I'm pretty sure I have a new 5500 short cage 105 in a box somewhere.

MEENI

thnx for the reply and offer!
I have a donor bike for the m900 frame (and have a syncros stem/handelbar set)
The one in the pictures has 3 major dents.
The Batavus is a titanium one withe 105 group, not that special but the frame is rare and it is like new
Tot tube is short but rids realy comfortable. Bought this bike for 100,- and fitted it with a brooks titanium, rest is stock
I am plannig to build it up in the m900 in the next weeks
My other projects are a alpinestars steel mtb and a late 80,s cannondale raceframe
Pic is the donor m900 and the batavus

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    955.9 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 296

MEENI

I have heared that the titanium frames came out of russia
On a german forum there was somebody that stripped the paint and polished the frame.
Structure is good quality, the welds are not so smooth than on a cannondale :)
The yellow mtb on my profile picture is a one off titanium pro from gazelle
It was made for a pro cyclist from the TVM crew to promote gazelle mtb,s
This frame is te same as the ralleigh ti ones (ralleigh en gazelle are both part of accel group)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I know that there were some Russian titanium frames imported to the USA but I don't remember the brands that sold them.

Do you know what year the Gazelle frame was made? Raleigh history is complicated as the brand has changed hands so many times. Last I knew Raleigh and Diamondback were owned by the same company and the product lines were similar.

Jak Conrad

IMG_20200407_072840409.jpg IMG_20190824_144156512.jpg My most modern bike is probably a NOS 2005 Trek 1200 I built up recently, and a Montague Paratrooper from about the same time. My current Dale is an M500 (not sure the year, I'll look it up though), and a (probably 1987 SR400) frame I'm waiting for.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have a Trek 1200 as well, but mine is a bit older. Built with 6 speed SunTour from an eBay frameset. My newest bike is a 2010 CAAD9. Just built it this week though the frame has been sitting here for 7 years. It was pretty modern back in 2013.
mini-full right (1).jpg
Trek 1200 windbreak trees.jpg

MEENI

image.jpeg
Love the trek, a rare bike here in the netherlands.
The newest thing that i am using a lot these days is a gazelle goldline carbon from 1999
Frame is from time, several teams used it in the tour as wel.
Dont see these much becouse it was very price then
It,s about 8.5 kg in original spec so even in today,s standard pretty ok.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The Gazelle is a beauty. Were there other carbon models? Probably very hard to find in the USA. I knew Time was making a lot of carbon forks back then but I don't remember the frames.

MEENI

Time sold it under the name "Time special pro"
MApei en Quickstep used them
DIt Gazelle sell in the US?

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I can't answer one way or the other. Gazelle bikes and frames turn up here, but I don't recall them ever being offered for sale by a US retailer. It's certainly possible that they were sold here by a company that I was not aware of.

Zachariah

My current Cannondale project(1997-1998 F1000/F2000) will be my last, unfortunately. The only Cannondale bikes that still interests me.... are the Volvo Cannondale Team bikes, when Cannondale was at the ultimate pinnacle of their technological prowess, ingenius spirit and winning ways. Those days are forever GONE. And, I want this final project bike to reflect the fact Cannondale was once a highly-innovative company who cared about WINNING. I came onboard cycling in 2006, right when Cannondale was with Siemens. I was absolutely wowed by the badass, 2003-2006 Optimo Alcalyte race frames. However, they were not attainable to the common man, much less a complete novice cyclist. Shame, I was not around to see Missy, Alison, Anne-Caroline, Cadel, Christoph, Myles, Martyn and Tinker completely dominate their respective classes. This last V-brake 26er I'm still building, is something I intend to hold on to.... simply because it was such an effective XC weapon, all made by passion and heart.

As always, I'll post full specs and photos when completed....

Zachariah
optimo_done.jpg

My very first Cannondale: 2005 F2000SL Optimo

Last edited:

MikeA

My current Cannondale project(1997-1998 F1000/F2000) will be my last, unfortunately. The only Cannondale bikes that still interests me.... are the Volvo Cannondale Team bikes, when Cannondale was at the ultimate pinnacle of their technological prowess, ingenius spirit and winning ways. Those days are forever GONE. And, I want this final project bike to reflect the fact Cannondale was once a highly-innovative company who cared about WINNING. I came onboard cycling in 2006, right when Cannondale was with Siemens. I was absolutely wowed by the badass, 2003-2006 Optimo Alcalyte race frames. However, they were not attainable to the common man, much less a complete novice cyclist. Shame, I was not around to see Missy, Alison, Anne-Caroline, Cadel, Christoph, Myles, Martyn and Tinker completely dominate their respective classes. This last V-brake 26er I'm still building, is something I intend to hold on to.... simply because it was such an effective XC weapon, all made by passion and heart.

As always, I'll post full specs and photos when completed....

Zachariah
View attachment 5119
My very first Cannondale: 2005 F2000SL Optimo

This bike is awesome, I love the paint scheme. In fact, I like it so much I have this exact picture saved on my hard drive! you must have posted it on MTBR at one time.

Zachariah

That bike was sold to me by Expert-Class XC racer, who was desperate for cash(Divorce/Custody). It weighed 22 pounds as shown. I was able to get that bike down to 19 pounds, with Stan’s Podium MMX wheels and 195-gram race tires. I lacked the skills to remain upright with such a sketchy setup and promptly returned to the configuration I initially purchased.