Old Cannondale ST (?)

ChrisW

It's currently for sale.
Guess it isn't in a really good state, so thinking about if it's worth the efforts..
First I'd liked to know: what exactly is it? Note the triple front chain rings.
Thank you!

cannondale_old.JPG

cannondale_old_02.JPG

ChrisW

Definetly a '89 ST400, thank you! First glance I was thinking to myself "Wow! What a find!"
But the more I look at it the more I find it less attractive. The long frame esp. to the rear wheel is not my cup of tea after all.
Only a small detail, but I don't like the bold "cannondale" logo either. :D

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
One of the advantages of the touring frames is the ability to take larger tires than the road frames. Not a factor if you never want to ride anything bigger than a 25 mm. I latch onto one of these whenever I can, have 3 at present. One has 28 mm slick road tires, one 30 mm file tread, one 32 mm knobbies.

If you can pick it up cheap, you can probably turn it over for a profit. The touring frames definitely have a following.

ChrisW

It looks a lot like my ST500. Turn it over and look for the serial number on the bottom bracket. The first two letters are the code for the year.
Apparently my post confused some of the members here, so apologize. It's not my bike. It was for sale on ebay few months ago, but I didn't buy it.