Norway or no way

jburnha

Hi all,

I appreciate this community and am happy to introduce myself after being a member here for some time. First off, I am an avid touring- and commuter-cyclist with formative cycling years (+10) spent in the Midwest (Chicago, USA), but originally from the Northeast (Maine, USA). Today, and for the last 10 years, I am based in Norway with most of my time above the arctic circle in Lofoten and the rest in the city of Bergen. I have taken my two Cannondales ('87 ST400 & '95 M900) across the Atlantic and ride them as often as I can, while a few years ago I added a "newer" CAAD9 to my collection for some training/races. I used to be very active on the forum velospace.org, which has wasted away, but I am happy to participate here!

I like best Cannondales from the mid 80s (with the original, but solid logo) and I have had a few as project bikes over the years as complete rebuilds, mostly with contemporary parts. On a related note, I also am a "collector" of vintage Cannondale jersey's from the same era (usually solid, bright colours, cotton/blend, embroidered with the old school logo), of which I have ca. 15 examples, and if you see a guy wearing one it is probably me as I have never seen another one in the wild...
278.jpg

An opinion "Made in the USA": I am sorry but I do not think that Cannondales produced outside of the USA qualify as Cannondales and I am happy to own the last of the "Made in America" framesets, the CAAD9.

I am happy to discuss and complement your bike/s! Drop me a note and say hello. I check this site regularly as I do enjoy seeing all of the bikes, both restored and renewed. ...It is crazy to think about some of these bikes and their histories: how much joy they have given over their 10,-20,-30 and sometimes even nearly 40 years of existence.

Ride safe!
-John
jmb-st400-small-jpg.4037

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Hi John,

Nice post. Like you, I was first attracted to the brand by its "Made in USA" status. I bought a new 1989 SM800 in early 1990 from On Two Wheels in Moline IL. OTW also sold Trek, who were still making most of their line in the US at that time. Though I've owned a few Treks since, I have always found Cannondales more interesting. The company is still headquartered in CT, and I'd wager that there are designers there who have been there since before the CAAD9 era. While I'm more interested in the USA frames, once I have one example of each of the road frame designs (still need a CAAD2, 6, and 8(?)), I'll probably start looking for CAAD10-12s. I only have one Cannondale that wasn't made in USA, a 2011 CAADX cyclocross. I don't think I could tell it from a US built frame if I didn't know, and prefer the geometry of it to the earlier XR800 CX frames, of which I have two.

I also have a 1995 M900. It was purchased new at the Davenport On Two Wheels (now the Trek Store) to replace the SM800 after it was stolen. The M900 is Diamond Black metallic with Violet Peal Hyper-Highlight, and is stock except for stem, saddle, tires and pedals. M900 was the lightest hardtail in the line at that time, supposed to weigh in at 22.4 lbs. It retailed for $1115 according to what I wrote in my catalog in 1995.

Is your ST400 original? One note on the Alpha 3000 rear derailleur: It has a unique cable pull/movement ratio. If either the shifter or RD goes bad, you will need to replace with the same model to have indexing. A better option is probably to upgrade. A nice setup for a touring bike is the indexed bar con shifters with a long cage MTB derailleur. I just built a Serotta with a Stronglight triple crank, 6 speed bar cons, and XC Sport RD. Nice stuff.

How did you happen to move to Norway? Were you missing the Maine winters?

happy riding,
mark

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! Very cool about the jersey collection. I would love to see those and your bikes posted in the gallery. :cool:

jburnha

Howdy Mark (aka Black Lightning 1987),

Hi John... I only have one Cannondale that wasn't made in USA, a 2011 CAADX cyclocross. I don't think I could tell it from a US built frame if I didn't know, and prefer the geometry of it to the earlier XR800 CX frames, of which I have two.
I have always liked the CAADX and have always wanted one, regardless of "Handmade in the USA". My point/opinion is not to say they aren't nice bikes, because they are and continue to be(!), rather it is just that they lose a certain something in my judgement.

Is your ST400 original? ...A better option is probably to upgrade. A nice setup for a touring bike is the indexed bar con shifters with a long cage MTB derailleur. I just built a Serotta with a Stronglight triple crank, 6 speed bar cons, and XC Sport RD. Nice stuff.
If you check out my ST400 available in my showcase (http://community.vintagecannondale.com/showcase/87-st400-modernized.464/), you can see it has been thoroughly updated/upgraded. The only bit original on her is the top tube brake cable, hah! I actually prefer to run my barcons non-indexed as there is no greater feeling than a perfect shift (same in cars...) -- I can only describe a "perfect shift" as: it feels like I have reached down and grabbed the chain in my hand and gently moved it over a cog.
I love Serotta's and have always wanted one (esp. a full ti, vintage wacky, lime-green-and-pink one!). Congratulations on that.

How did you happen to move to Norway? Were you missing the Maine winters?
Some stories are older than time itself: a long-term, Norwegian pen-pal, turned love-interest, turned partner, was the reason for the move (among other things), but some things expire, eh? Today my Norwegian wife (i.e. not the pen-pal) has taken me to the Arctic, which is nice (i.e. quiet). Maine is a lovely place and I am happy some of my family has stayed there (or returned after a stint away), but Norway is not a bad place to live,-or cycle!

Cheers!
-John

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I agree, would like the CAADX even more if it had been made in Bedford. Stay in touch relative to Serottas, and consider participating at the paceline forum.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=3

It was formerly the Serotta forum. Lots of good folks there. Serotta probably made the best steel and titanium frames available over a number of years, and many consider their carbon frames as good as any produced - even though they have been out of business for several years.

There are several iconic Serotta paint schemes. I have a 1991 NHX that is painted in a fluorescent orange/pink fade. That paint was an option among several choices for a Colorado II at the time, but I've never seen another NHX with the same paint.

jburnha

Welcome! Very cool about the jersey collection. I would love to see those and your bikes posted in the gallery. :cool:
Hi Brian. As you so subtly hinted at, I have now added my vintage jerseys as a showcase item: "A collection of 9 vintage jerseys". Thanks for the push and I hope to expand the collection even more.

It would be really cool if vintagecannondale.com could get permission to re-create these old jerseys -- maybe just the simple ones like the collared shirt with classic logo embroidered. Just a thought!