New/old Cannondale tourer

echoplex

M587 is what's on there now. In looking I noticed "SIS8" stamped on the cage. The '97 T2000 was 8sp, I wonder why C'dale didn't just make the T900 8sp, too.. Anyway, I'm 90% sure I found a spec sheet a while back that listed it's max cog as 34 and total as 44 or 45, but now I can't really find anything as far as specifics..

black lightning 1987

Staff member
The RSX shifters were just that much cheaper than the 105s would be the main reason for the T900 being 7 speed.

Are you sure about that model number for the RD? Doesn't ring a bell for me and doesn't show up in a search of Shimano tech docs.

echoplex

Sorry, M567..... OK, I did just order the next step up in reading glasses today as a matter of fact....

JohnnyD

Silver but not polished. All three rings are steel so it's not the lightest. View attachment 7127 $60 shipped in a flat rate Priority bubble envelope or $65 in a medium flat rate box with the FSA box.
I'd love to see what else you have hiding around in your NOS stash! I say that because the good old reliable M700 is giving me trouble jumping gears on the rear. It just might be time for a updated 3x7/8/9 swap.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I'd love to see what else you have hiding around in your NOS stash! I say that because the good old reliable M700 is giving me trouble jumping gears on the rear. It just might be time for a updated 3x7/8/9 swap.
Not much here for NOS MTB cranks other than the FSAs. I have a lot more stuff for road bikes than mountain.
Perhaps you just need a new cassette and chain. I might have something that would work depending on what you need.

JohnnyD

Not much here for NOS MTB cranks other than the FSAs. I have a lot more stuff for road bikes than mountain.
Perhaps you just need a new cassette and chain. I might have something that would work depending on what you need.
That's my general thinking as well. I've been wanting to redo the whole drive-train on that bike, I feel the look of the FSA Alpha would fit the overall look of the bike. My only concern and question is going to be how well will that crank-set would play with the LX derailleur's I have. Time to go dig around Shimano's tech docs!
I guess I might need to take a break from buying parts for the Jekyll and pick up a few for my good old M700. Does anyone even make a 13-30T 7 speed cassette anymore? I've only seen 11-28T and a few SRam one's up to 32T.

Edit: I'll let you know if I decide to try out the FSA crank-set.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
12-32 and 11-28 are the common ones these days. Here's a lower end HG 13-30 that's reasonably priced. He only has one though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234027236447?hash=item367d1c3c5f:g:wgIAAOSw6jhgr7rF

HG70 if you want to spend $90

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224474408058?hash=item3443b7a47a:g:b8wAAOSw5vpgrQdi

I might be able to come up with NOS cogs to make a Uniglide 13-30. Probably have 20 lbs. of UG cogs but they are various models so any cassette usually ends up having different finishes on the cogs. You would have to grind the heads off the rivets of your old cassette to salvage the spacers.

echoplex

Well, the new M591 RD was pretty quick and easy to put on and set up and is a definite improvement. I think the old one was just worn out (& a little bent, too...).

Wondering what you've got in your stash of stuff in terms of handlebars, Black Lightning....?

JohnnyD

Well, the new M591 RD was pretty quick and easy to put on and set up and is a definite improvement. I think the old one was just worn out (& a little bent, too...).

Wondering what you've got in your stash of stuff in terms of handlebars, Black Lightning....?
Good to hear every thing went well on the RD.

JohnnyD

12-32 and 11-28 are the common ones these days. Here's a lower end HG 13-30 that's reasonably priced. He only has one though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234027236447?hash=item367d1c3c5f:g:wgIAAOSw6jhgr7rF

HG70 if you want to spend $90

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224474408058?hash=item3443b7a47a:g:b8wAAOSw5vpgrQdi

I might be able to come up with NOS cogs to make a Uniglide 13-30. Probably have 20 lbs. of UG cogs but they are various models so any cassette usually ends up having different finishes on the cogs. You would have to grind the heads off the rivets of your old cassette to salvage the spacers.

No need to trouble yourself on building anything for me. That HG 70 is nice(it's what is on the bike now) but not for $90.00 hell for that money I can go CRAZY and do something like a 1X9 setup on the bike, pick up a used 26" wheel locally(the are 3 Giant Warps with v-brakes I could pick up and flip two of them to steal a rear wheel off the third) See you got my mind wandering...

Thanks for the links though.. I'll just pick up cable kit to redo those and a 12-32 or 11-28 cassette( guess I need to figure out if the Deore LX RD can handle 32T.)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Don't blame you. I've never paid $90 for a cassette of any brand/vintage. I've taken a lot of cassettes apart and replaced the spacers in order to get what I was after.

JohnnyD

I'll let you know when I get it done.. I'm going to be installing the Advent X setup on the '04 Jekyll tomorrow after the UPS guy brings me presents... All that's left on that is, seatpost, saddle, front fork, handlebars, stem and grips! Oh yeah and a shock pump... gotta get that too.

echoplex

My T900 evolution continues... finally found some available (& reasonably priced) Nitto B135 handlebars. The Soma Highway One compact bars were a good transition as I got back into cycling, but soon felt too compact. The randos are a big improvement- some more reach, the flared drops are more comfortable and useful to me, more useable positions. New headset (Tange Falcon), but haven't psyched myself up enough to try to install it myself (or come around to finding a shop that isn't a couple hours away that I'd want to take it to for the job...). I don't want to be without the bike while the weather is still decent, so probably will live with the indexed/notched feel until the snows start.. Really enjoying this bike (and wondering "why did it take me 20+ years to return to cycling....?")

black lightning 1987

Staff member
It's always good when a part you haven't tried before works out well. Guessing you will get a few weeks this winter with a lot of snow and that will be a good time to change the headset.

JohnnyD

"why did it take me 20+ years to return to cycling....?")
I ask myself that all the time..
As for your latest update on T900.. I am glad to hear everything worked well. Just don't forget the cardinal rule. Ride and enjoy your bike!

echoplex

It's always good when a part you haven't tried before works out well. Guessing you will get a few weeks this winter with a lot of snow and that will be a good time to change the headset.

Ha- if this winter is anything like last, there'll be a loooong stretch with snow on the ground!