New member, old rider! (Need help with a Silk Road headshock)

BrianRPaterson

Hi,

Brian here. I'm located in Hong Kong and I've been riding Cannondale bikes since 1995 - all bought from Mr Lee at Flying Ball Bicycle.

In my time I've had an F1000 hardtail, two Super Vs, a Jekyll, a CAAD4 road bike and I'm still riding my venerable XS800 cross bike. In fact, it was the XS800 -- or rather its Silk road Headshock, which needs work -- that brought me here.

Sadly, Flying Ball can't help me refurb the shock, so I'm looking around for ideas. It'd be a shame to have to retire the old girl just because the shock is a bit duff.

I'm in the process of working out how to make posts and I'll put up the details later.
In the meantime, if anybody has any advice on overhauling and finding parts for a Silk Road headshock, I'd love to hear from them.

Live long and keep pedalling!

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I have four Silk Roads but have not had to work on the dampers. The only thing I've done is pull the fork and lubricate the roller bearings. Check with Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith. He will know whether parts are available for your fork.

BrianRPaterson

Thanks very much for the heads up. I'll get in touch with Craig and see what's what.
My fork is actually working more or less OK.
The bearings seem fine.
The issue I have is that when it's locked out and I hit a bump, it seems to bottom out with a "CLUNK."
It's less evident when the shock is on. But, if I hit something bigger at speed, I'll get a "CLUNK."
Have you come across that? And, if so, is there a solution?
Much appreciated!
Cheers

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I think that has been mentioned by others. Are you sure it's at the time when the fork is trying to compress? I seem to recall that the noise typically happens after hitting the bump. There is probably a place to put a shim to eliminate the small amount of play. Let us know what you find out.