New Life for my Delta V

amarzano

I purchased this bike new way back. It's been sitting in the back of the garage for years now, having been replaced with a newer Cannondale 29er.

One of my neighbors (who has an F1000) and I thought it would be fun to breathe some new life into the bikes and convert them to ebikes. I know this will not be everyone's cup of tea and hope that I don't offend folks by posting this.

It's been fun riding this again and now looking for some upgrades for the old bike.

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 115

MEENI

Now that is an interesting combination
You just made the holy grail of ATB,s electric :)
Did you buy this as a plug and play set ?

amarzano

Now that is an interesting combination
You just made the holy grail of ATB,s electric :)
Did you buy this as a plug and play set ?

Most of these are kits that you piecemeal together. They all sell pretty much the same parts based on the Bafang BBSHD. The bike does get up and go. Which reminds me the brakes aren't what they used to be. :)

black lightning 1987

Staff member
1992 - ish. I can't remember that far back clearly. :)

I also have a Black Lighting (SR800?). it was sitting next to the Delta V. Bought it around the same time. Now what to do with that one.

BL was SR800 in 1987, but it got demoted down the lineup in subsequent years. 1987 and 1988 are the best years as they had SunTour Sprint components (2nd in the line at the time to Superbe Pro), while later BLs had lower level components. 1988 BLs were designated SR700 but the components were essentially the same as 1987. The demotion in model number was because Shimano introduced Sante and Ultegra 600, and while it could be argued that Sprint was nicer than either of those groups - pricing (or marketing clout) placed Sprint slightly lower in perceived quality.

As far as what to do with it: that will depend on your priorities. There are still folks out there who remember and desire these bikes, but they are aging. If you are not going to ride it and want to get the most out of it, now is the time. Clean and polish, adjust everything to good working order and price according to condition.

amarzano

BL was SR800 in 1987, but it got demoted down the lineup in subsequent years. 1987 and 1988 are the best years as they had SunTour Sprint components (2nd in the line at the time to Superbe Pro), while later BLs had lower level components. 1988 BLs were designated SR700 but the components were essentially the same as 1987. The demotion in model number was because Shimano introduced Sante and Ultegra 600, and while it could be argued that Sprint was nicer than either of those groups - pricing (or marketing clout) placed Sprint slightly lower in perceived quality.

As far as what to do with it: that will depend on your priorities. There are still folks out there who remember and desire these bikes, but they are aging. If you are not going to ride it and want to get the most out of it, now is the time. Clean and polish, adjust everything to good working order and price according to condition.

Thanks for the advice BL87 - Let me clean it up and snap some photos. I think the only items I ever changed on it were the brake pads!

Let me see if the old tubes will still hold air.

Alex

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Thanks for posting the documents. We don't have much original pricing information. Nice to see what my SR800 sold for. The dealer didn't cut you much slack on pricing the DV, charging retail + shipping and assembly, but at least you didn't have to pay sales tax. Oregon purchase?