New Crankset for CAAD 5

MichaelB

Hello, I'm looking to replace the old FSA crankset on my CAAD 5 (10spd). I'd like something as modern and light as possible. Is there any chance that Hollowgram cranks would work on it. Can someone provide some options as what would work on the bike? Thank you...

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Are you going to stick with SRAM for the rest of the upgrades? If so I would choose a crank that's going to be compatible with whatever the ultimate setup is. Shimano STI and front derailleur setups can be pretty finicky, so I would want to be sure all three components matched if going with Shimano. I only have one SRAM equipped road bike but my impression is that in the 10 speed era their crank/front derailleur/shifter setup was compatible with Shimano. So if sticking with SRAM 10 a Dura Ace 10 crank would be an option. Campagnolo makes some nice lightweight cranks and they are easy to install. I haven't used one with a SRAM or Shimano build though.

Once I know what you plan to use for shifters and derailleurs, I would run the crank question by the folks at the Paceline forum. There are numerous folks there who have a lot better handle on your question than I have.

FPrue1304

The modern SRAM roadcranks (Force or Red) with the 8 bolts let you do pretty much anything. Get various spiders or direct mounted chainwheels, powermeters etc.

Bottom bracket in DUB is available for BSA 68-73 what should fit your frame.

MichaelB

The modern SRAM roadcranks (Force or Red) with the 8 bolts let you do pretty much anything. Get various spiders or direct mounted chainwheels, powermeters etc.

Bottom bracket in DUB is available for BSA 68-73 what should fit your frame.
Thank you for the info

FPrue1304

I think with a BSA 68-73 BB you can actually fit anything “modern”. Some new frames are even reverting back to this standard abandoning pressed-in BB.

MichaelB

Hello, I recently got new wheels - Campagnolo Zonda. The freehub body accepts 11 spd, so is there any reason I can't just go with an Ultegra R8000 or a Dura Ace 11spd group on the CAAD 5? Either would be easier than finding a decent used Dura Ace 10spd group it seems.

Last edited:

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I haven't kept up on current Campagnolo wheels but I'm guessing they are still sold with both Campagnolo and Shimano freehub bodies. Either way you should be fine with going to Shimano 11.

MichaelB

The wider & faster wheels have completely changed the bike for the better. It's unbelievable to me. I'm going to try and go with DA 7950 crank with 7900 shifters, FD & RD just keeping it 10spd.