Need front derailleur for Cannondale campagnolo

Joel Russo

Just bought a vintage cannondale Campagnolo. Probably from the 80’s? It does not have a front derailleur . The rear is a Shimano Altus.
Three gear rings in front. What type of derailleur should I look for. I am obviously a novice!! Also would like a kickstand (don’t shoot me :) thanks for the help and advice! JR

black lightning 1987

Staff member
Best if you post some pictures. Some Cannondales had a steel tab screwed to the frame to mount a "braze-on" type front derailleur. Others used a clamp on derailleur, usually 32 mm clamp diameter. If your bike was originally Campagnolo, it's probably a higher end model. I would try to put it back to original if possible. Triple chain ring Campagnolo setup is kind of unusual on a Cannondale, I don't recall any triple models but there may have been some. Post some pictures of the bike taken from the right side so we can see what you have.

Joel Russo

Here are pictures of the Cannondale. It has 9 gears on the rear and 3 on the front. There are 2 screws on the main post however they look to be to high for a derailleur. I could be wrong as this is my first Cannondale. Wouldn't any type bottom pull derailleur work?

Attachments

• IMG_4015[1].JPG
    IMG_4015[1].JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4016[1].JPG
    IMG_4016[1].JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4018[1].JPG
    IMG_4018[1].JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4019[1].JPG
    IMG_4019[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 85

black lightning 1987

Staff member
With a friction shifter like you have, you just need to match the derailleur to the crank. This triple compatible Microshift is rated for up to a 50 tooth large chain ring, and a small ring to big ring differential of 20 teeth.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=91028&category=71

I didn't look around much, so you might find it cheaper elsewhere (eBay).

That 1990 SR900 was originally supplied with a full Campagnolo Athena group. Looks like the brakes may be the only original component.