Need advice, cable stop drilled out, how to fix this?

Nico

Currently I am working on the restoration of a Super V 1000 polish.
I would like to bring it back to original state as best as possible.

As with a lot of bikes from this era, after market Magura hydraulic brakes were installed.
To guide the brake lines the cable stops were drilled out to make place for the plastic tube.

Because I want to reinstall the original cantilever brakes I need to have some kind of cable stop.

Does any one of you have an DIY idea how to fix this?

Attachments

• cable stop cannondale.jpeg
    cable stop cannondale.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 31

black lightning 1987

Staff member
I would probably epoxy some inserts into the original stops. They would likely need to be made on a lathe but would be easy to make. They would just be a cylinder of the same diameter as the drilled out guides with a hole for the cable to pass through. A version could be made that wouldn't require bonding. It would have a smaller outside diameter that slips into the drilled out guide and a larger outside diameter that seats against the end of the existing stop. The 2nd type wouldn't look as original as the first but wouldn't rely on the bond to take the load on the cable. I could make either type if you can't find someone to make them locally. What is the inside diameter of the drilled out guides? I have lots of these 6 mm outside diameter ferrules that might work.
Promax ferrules.jpg

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same issue on a Super V that somebody converted to a Uber. It is still a uber, but the stops are drilled out. I have been using full length cable and cloth or electrical tape to make it stay in the stop. I keep thinking there has to be a better way. I agree with 87, some type of plastic "C" sleeve that would be epoxy in. So it can be removed later if needed.

If you needed a stop. You could do a type of metal or maybe plastic disc with a hole, "epoxy" on. The tension will hold it on.

Nico

Ow, I am very much interested in the Frank Zappa ferrules.
Do you remember were you bought them?

I found 2 cable end caps sized 6,3 mm-ish that seem to fit but I have to check if that works.
Close inspection learned that the gable guides are not drilled out completely so maybe I can fix them with these ferules.

Option 2 would be, take some 6 mm round alloy and drill a hole for the outer and inner cable and try to glue them with epxoy.

It will probably more a show bike than a bike to drive.
I just discovered that the prices of the vintage bike seem to explode.
One was offered on a Dutch version a Craigs list for a minimum of €1000,- or $1080,- by today's exchange rate.

black lightning 1987

Staff member
They were marketed by Raleigh America starting in 2004 under the name Promax Kollars. I have them for 4 mm and 5 mm casing. On the 5 mm ferrules, the part that holds the casing is 6.02 mm in diameter with the shorter section measuring 5.56 mm.. There is one ebay seller in California that is selling green ones but the diameters he lists are different from mine.

I'd be happy to send you enough for your Super V for the cost of shipping.

Nico

Ok, crisis averted.
I found a ferule that exactly fits the cable stopper. It is big enough for another cable including an extra smaller cable stopper. So it is a nice tight fit.

What also helped is that I figured out by looking at a lot of images from SV's, mainly on this website, that the brake line is on the left and the rear derry is on the right.
The drilled out stopper were on the right side so now the brake line follows to original path and thus untouched cable stoppers.

Thanks for the advice from all of you. :)